1. Hauptnavigation
  2. Navigation des Hauptbereiches
  3. Inhalt der Seite

Practical information

Living at the student residence

During your academic stay (4 months minimum stay!) at Dresden University of applied sciences, you may live at the Dresden student services (Studentenwerk) student residence. Attention: Accommodations at the student residence shall only be permitted if you send your application for residence to the students services immediately after you have received your admission notice from Dresden University of Applied Sciences. 

Extensive information and the application for residence is available on the student services homepage

If arrival is planned outside of a time specified by the students services, then we recommend the student services international guesthouse, a hotel, or a youth hostel in Dresden for the first night.

Students whose stay is shorter than four months may be accommodated in a room at the student services international guesthouse. Since the capacity of this guesthouse is limited, contact the department's support or the international office at Dresden University of Applied Sciences with regard to this. 

Health insurance

All students in Germany must possess health insurance.

Students from countries within the European Union and the EFTA or students from countries with which Germany has developed a social insurance agreement bring their European health insurance card.

Students from countries that do not belong to the European Union or to EFTA must be insured immediately by a statutory insurance agency (z.B. AOK, Barmer, DAK, Techniker Krankenkasse). (Monthly insurance contributions amount to approx. € 78). More detailed information is available from the international office after arrival. (Participants of the orientation week have the possibility to complete the necessary formalities during the orientation week.)

We recommend acquiring travel insurance for your trip to Germany as well as for your trip back to your homeland.

Please also check prior to beginning your academic stay if your private insurance possesses sufficient coverage in case of any accident (e.g. in case of property damage or personal injury to third parties and in case of accidents or theft).

Support from the student initiative 'faranto e.V.'

faranto e.V. is a student organisation that accompanies and supports international students at Dresden University of Applied Sciences. Prior to arriving in Dresden, students from the different faculties of Dresden University of Applied Sciences will contact you, pick you up from the train station or airport, and accompany you to various offices. The students involved in faranto e.V. are available to you to answer questions concerning student life.

Language proficiency

Students who would like to attend standard courses/lectures will require good to very good German language skills (B1/B2), since these courses are mainly offered in German. 

Students who are working on a programme or research project together with a departmental professor from Dresden University of Applied Sciences, on their thesis (e.g. diploma thesis, bachelor's thesis, master's thesis), or their dissertation should please discuss what language proficiency is required for their project prior to their official application at the university with the responsible professor. Depending on the subject, students may also receive support in a foreign language (e.g. English, Russian).


Students from countries in the European Union and EFTA do not require a visa to enter Germany. A valid passport or personal identification is sufficient.

Students from countries that are not in the European Union or EFTA require a visa for their stay in Germany for academic purposes. This visa must be applied for at the German foreign representative within the home country. Do not travel to Germany without acquiring this visa first!

Students need a Permission to study at a German university and a proof of sufficient fundsin order to receive a student visa.

More information is also available on the homepage of the Federal Foreign Office.


Dresden University of Applied Sciences does not charge any tuition. The semester fee  is no tuition. This fee includes the semester ticket which enables students to use the local public transport for free. The semester fee should be paid via bank transfer from your home country prior to your arrival in Dresden to ensure that you receive your student ID card directly after your arrival and are able use the local public transport right away. You will get an demand in advance.

Living costs depend upon particular rental costs and your individual lifestyle. Overall, you should expect monthly costs of approximately € 500. 

Please bring a certification of your ERASMUS scholarship. This is required when you register at the local aliens' authority. If you have not received an ERASMUS scholarship from your home university, please inform yourself at your university's international department to see if you are entitled to apply for a scholarship at Dresden University of Applied Sciences.

Enrolment at HTW Dresden

All Students must register after arriving in the International Office Friedrich-List-Platz 1, room Z 233. In order to be able to enroll at Dresden University of Applied Sciences, the following certificates will be required:

  Payment of semester fee

  Health insurance

As soon as payment of the semester fee is received by HTW Dresden and proof of health insurance (registration or exemption) has been submitted to the international office, you will receive your student ID card from the students' office at room Z 220.
This student ID card is simultaneously your library card, transit ticket (with valid semester stamp), and access card for the university parking area and selected laboratory areas.

Students who intend to study in Dresden for longer than one semester must confirm their second semester in good time. Confirmation of further studies takes place after payment of the semester fee within the confirmation period.
Don't forget to update the stamp on your student ID card with the card printer!

Departmental support

As an exchange student, you will receive a Tutor for the duration of your academic stay at Dresden University of Applied of Applied Science (professor of the corresponding faculty) who will support you with all of your academic problems. Your teaching assistant will help you with all questions regarding your programme at Dresden University of Applied Sciences (learning agreement), registration and participation in tests, concerning testing results (transcript of records), as well as clarification of departmental problems and solutions.

Please find the class schedule here: http://www2.htw-dresden.de/~rawa/cgi-bin/plan/raiplan_pdf.php


Orientation Week

Dresden University of Applied Sciences hosts a week-long preparatory course for international students at the beginning of each semester. This orentation week includes an evaluation test for the accompanying German language course, all administrative official procedures, excursions in Dresden and the surrounding area, and meetings with German students.

Registration at the Resident Registration Office of Dresden

Within 14 days after your arrival in Dresden, you have to register and report your address at the resident registration office of Dresden. The same applies if you move house within Dresden.

Address: Theaterstraße 11, 01067 Dresden

Please bring along:  

• Passport or identification card, 

• Rental contract

(For participants of the orientation week, the registration will be organised by faranto e.V.)

Opening a bank account

A giro account at a bank in Dresden is required to pay rent due for accommodation. Please take your passport, a personal ID card, and the registration certificate from the passport and registration office.
Administrative fees for this account are normally waived upon presentation of your student ID card.

(Participants of the orientation week have the possibility to sign a bank contract during the orientation week.)

Registration at the Aliens' authority

Foreign students from third countries (non-EU countries) who stay longer than three months are obliged to apply for a residency permit for academic purposes at the alien's authority of Dresden within the first three months after entering the Federal Republic of Germany. Foreign students from EU countries do not need to apply for a residence title at the alien's authority.

Aliens' Authority Dresden

Theaterstrasse 13

Room E/056

To schedule an appointment please send an E-mail to the following address: termin.ausländerbehörde@dresden.de

Please bring along:

• Residency permit application,

• Valid passport + copy,

• Valid visa for academic purposes (except EU/EEA, USA, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland),

• Rental contract + copy,

• Health insurance certificate + copy,

• Registration certificate from the registration office of Dresden + copy,

• enrolment certificate from the university + copy,

• Proof of funds for sustaining living expenses + copy,

• Two up-to-date biometric passport photos

(For participants of the orientation week, faranto e.V. will organise all related formalities.)

Completion of academic stay

Please apply for a transcript of records with your supporting professor in good time. Prior to departing, please make sure that you register with:

  the university library (please return any books you have borrowed!)

  the bank (to close your account)

  the central passport and registration office


Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Dresden
Akademisches Auslandsamt
(International Office)
Friedrich-List-Platz 1
D-01069 Dresden, Germany



Ms Juliane Terpe
Telephone: +49 (0)351 462 33 77


Administrative support:
Ms Cornelia Jentzsch 

Telephone: +49 (0)351 462 36 01

Ms Ines Hammermueller-Sweeney

Telephone: Telefon: (+49 351) 462 3458


Telefax: +49 (0)351 462 21 74
Room: Z 233
Email: auslandsamt@htw-dresden.de 

author: S. Soehnellast changed: 2013-10-08