Exchange Programmes

[Translate to English:] Studierende vor Hauptbahnhof
Sharon McCutcheon, Unsplash

News for exchange students

+++Information about the course of the summer semester 2021 at HTW Dresden

At the start of the summer semester 2021, status red on the Corona traffic light continues to apply. This means that the courses will continue to take place only virtually. A step-by-step plan for exiting the respective traffic light phases has been established: On two dates it may be possible to switch the Corona traffic light: On April 19, a switch to the next status yellow can take place after checking the prerequisites (incidence value < 50). The following date for a switch is May 17, if possible, to the green status (incidence value < 35). One week prior to each of the two dates, all university members will be notified of the planned changes by e-mail and via the website.

Current information from the university management in connection with the coronavirus

+++Regulations with regard to coronavirus (COVID-19)

The university updates its regulations regularly. The HTW Dresden has introduced a traffic light system for academic teaching to evaluate the situation in connection with the Coronavirus. On the website, the Corona traffic light is explained and the applicable regulations at the status "Red", "Yellow" and "Green" are explained in further detail.

In case there is a quarantine obligation after arrival in Germany, we advise international students to inform themselves early. Please observe the current quarantine regulations when entering Germany. Information on quarantine regulations is regularly updated by the city of Dresden.
Please also note the information for dormitory residents on the coronavirus (COVID-19) provided by the Studentenwerk Dresden.

+++Live-Chat for exchange students

Do you have any questions about exchange studies at HTW Dresden? Chat with us!

Every Monday 1.00 - 2.00 p.m. (CET)

Here is the link to the chat room: (without password; at the given time with your browser under Windows, Mac or Linux) Information on data protection:

Before coming to HTW Dresden — Application and organisation

Are you studying at one of our partner universities and would like to study as an exchange student at the HTW Dresden? Would you like to further your professional development and get to know German culture? Then you've come to the right place. We will inform you about the simplified application procedure, language requirements and all questions regarding travel, accommodation, visa and more.

After consultation with the respective faculty, it is also possible to study as a freemover at the HTW Dresden.


  • 15 June for the winter semester (October - February)
  • 15 November of the previous year for the summer semester (March - July)

Non-EU students are advised to send their applications before the deadline due to the lengthy visa procedure.
Please send the application documents to auslandsamt(at)


After a nomination by your home university (name/first name/email address/study period/faculty/course of study by e-mail to auslandsamt(at), you can apply for a study visit at the HTW Dresden using a simplified procedure. The following application documents are required:

  • Application for admission to studies (form)
  • Learning Agreement (form)
  • Resume
  • Notes overview
  • Proof of language skills (English and/or German at level B1/B2)
  • Proof of health insurance (copy of the European Health Insurance Card for partial students from EU countries; partial students from non-EU countries must take out a separate health insurance upon arrival in Dresden)
  • Signed request for HTW login (will be send to you via email)
  • JPG file of a colour photograph with a neutral background in passport photo format for the student ID card, with a minimum height of 4,5 cm and a resolution of at least 300 dpi, named as follows: Last_Name_First_Name.jpg
  • Proof of a valid study visa (can be submitted later upon entry)

Please have the International Department or the ERASMUS university coordinator of your home university confirm your study visit at the HTW Dresden on the application form for admission (page 2). Without this confirmation no admission can take place.


If your application for admission to studies at the HTW Dresden has been submitted, we will send you an "admission letter". With this admission letter you can apply for a study visa at the German Embassy in your home country.

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact auslandsamt(at) by e-mail.

If you have any subject-related/content-related questions in preparation for your study visit at the HTW Dresden (Learning Agreement), please contact the responsible program coordinator at your home university or the responsible program coordinator at the HTW Dresden.

EXCHANGE STUDENTS OF AN EU STATE/ EFTA/Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Great Britain, Northern Ireland and USA

Students from countries of the European Union, EFTA, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the USA do not need a visa to enter Germany. A valid passport or identity card is sufficient.

> Students from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Great Britain, Northern Ireland and the USA are obliged to apply for a residence permit for study purposes at the Dresden Immigration Office within 3 months of entering the Federal Republic of Germany if their stay exceeds 3 months.

> The same applies to students from Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino who do not wish to pursue an employment in Germany. Students of these countries can enter and stay in Germany without a visa. A required residence permit can be obtained in Dresden within 3 months of entry.


Students from countries that do not belong to the European Union or EFTA require a visa for study purposes for their stay in Germany. You must apply for this visa at the German embassy in your home country. For a student visa, you need admission to study and proof of sufficient financial means.

> Students from non-EU countries are obliged to apply for a residence permit for study purposes at the Dresden Immigration Office within 3 months of entering the Federal Republic of Germany for a stay of more than 3 months.


Further information can be found on the BAMF website.


Make sure you find out in good time about the entry regulations that apply to your country. You can find this information at the Federal Foreign Office.

Never enter on a tourist visa! A tourist visa does not entitle you to study, nor can it be converted into a residence permit for study purposes after you have entered Germany.

In Germany, all students must have health insurance. When enrolling as a student at the HTW Dresden, proof of health insurance must be presented. When issuing the residence permit, the Foreigners Authority also checks whether the health insurance is sufficient for the stay in Germany and corresponds to the scope of a statutory health insurance in Germany.


Students from countries of the European Union (EU) or from countries with which Germany has concluded a social security agreement (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from their health insurance in their home country and present it when enrolling. Please note that the EHIC is only valid for a temporary stay abroad and only includes necessary medical services. Please ask your health insurance in your home country about your insurance cover in Germany and apply for the EHIC in good time.

The European Commission has developed a Smartphone App which explains how to use the EHIC in different countries. It also provides general information on the insurance card, emergency numbers, treatments and costs included, procedures for claiming reimbursement and contact information in the event of card loss. The app is available for both iPhone and Andoid (enter "EHIC" as search).


Students from countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU)/EFTA must take out health insurance with one of the statutory health insurance funds (e.g. AOK, Techniker Krankenkasse, Barmer...) (currently approx. 80-90 Euro/month) and present proof ("insurance certificate") at the International Office of the HTW Dresden.

If you have already taken out private health insurance for your stay in Germany, please contact one of the German statutory health insurance funds to find out whether your private health insurance is recognised. Please obtain a certificate of exemption from statutory health insurance and submit it to the International Office of the HTW Dresden. Please bring a certificate with the following information (in German or English) from your private insurance company to prove and check that you have sufficient insurance cover:

  • Name of insured person
  • insurance period
  • Scope of insurance/ benefits
  • sum insured
  • Validity of the insurance for Germany

Please note:

  • If you are privately insured, you can no longer switch to the German statutory insurance for the entire duration of your studies.
  • Privately insured persons must pay for all medical services and medication in Germany in advance and then settle with their private health insurance.

More information on health insurance in Germany can be found on the DAAD website.

Please also check before you start your study visit whether you have sufficient private insurance in the event of a claim (e.g. in the case of damage to property or personal injury caused by you to third parties, accidents or theft).

There is no tuition fee at HTW Dresden, but a semester fee is charged. The semester fee includes contributions to the Studentenwerk, the Studentenrat and the semester ticket for free use of public transport in the Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe (VVO). More information about the semester ticket can be found here.


Students from the EU should pay the semester fee (approx. 290 Euro) by bank transfer from their home country before entering the country. This ensures that the student ID card (incl. semester ticket) can be handed over during the orientation week. Please note that a bank transfer takes several working days until it is registered at the HTW Dresden. You will receive an e-mail with the amount of the semester fee and the exact bank details in good time before the start of the semester.


Students from countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU)/EFTA pay the semester fee during the Welcome Week by credit card (Master or Visa card).


For the cost of living in Dresden, expenses of about 600-800 Euro per month are to be expected, depending on the individual lifestyle. This amount includes the expenses for rent in the dormitory, meals, study materials, possibly fees for a German statutory health insurance and the semester fee.


During your stay at the HTW Dresden you can live in a student residence of the Studentenwerk Dresden (rental period at least 4 months). You can register directly at the Studentenwerk Dresden using the online application procedure. To apply, you need a copy of the admission letter from the HTW Dresden.

Detailed information on the various accommodation options and the application form (online application procedure) can be found at: and

If you arrive outside the arrival times specified by the Studentenwerk Dresden, we recommend that you stay the first night at the International Guest House of the Studentenwerk Dresden, a hotel or youth hostel in Dresden. The A&O Hostel/Hotel near the HTW Dresden is only 500 m away from the main train station.


If you prefer to live in a shared apartment, you can find information in Facebook groups or on the following websites:


For study stays of up to 3 months there is the possibility of accommodation in the International Guest House of the Studentenwerk Dresden. As the capacity of the International Guest House is limited, you should contact your academic advisor or the International Office of the HTW Dresden in good time.


The Student Hotel


The public broadcasting services in Germany offer a high-quality information and entertainment programme as well as independent reporting – on the radio, television and internet. This programming is made possible by the licence fee, which is currently 17.50 euros per month. As part of a contributory financing model, everyone is obligated in principle to pay this fee.

Even you, as students and apprentices, are required to pay it in principle if you live in your own dwelling and not with your parents, for example. However, under certain conditions, you can apply for an exemption from the licence fee.

More Information



Students who wish to attend regular courses at the HTW Dresden in German and/or English require good to very good German and/or English language skills (B1/B2).


The Language Centre of the HTW Dresden offers free courses "German as a Foreign Language (DaF)" in the winter and summer semesters. The German courses at levels A1 to C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) have a duration of 4 semester hours per week (SWS). This corresponds to two 90-minute lessons per week. If you successfully complete one of these German courses, you can earn five ECTS credit points. The prerequisite for this is the recognition of your performance by your home university (Learning Agreement).

In order to take a "German as a foreign language" course, you must attend the information session on the German courses during the orientation week. In this event, you fill in a grid to assess your previous knowledge of German and you will receive all the necessary information about the German courses offered.

Further information can be found on the homepage of the Language Centre.

You also have the opportunity to take FREE courses in English, French, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese.


As an exchange student you will receive a subject coordinator (supervising professor of the responsible faculty) for the duration of your study stay at the HTW Dresden, who will support you in all academic matters. With your subject coordinator you can clarify all questions concerning the planned study programme at the HTW Dresden (Learning Agreement), the registration and participation in examinations and the examination results (Transcript of Records) as well as subject-specific questions. During the Welcome Week you will get to know your subject coordinator in a personal meeting.


The module database "Modulux" gives you an overview of all courses of study at the HTW Dresden and the modules offered. You can call up each module individually and find out more about its content. For the Faculty of Economics you will find the course list of English modules here.


The Learning Agreement is a contract between you, your home university and the HTW Dresden. The Learning Agreement specifies which academic achievements you wish to achieve and to what extent at the HTW Dresden.

Please use our module catalogue "Modulux" to create your Learning Agreement. You should also discuss the choice of course with your supervisor at your home university and clarify in advance which courses are recognised at your home university or not. The Learning Agreement must be signed by you, your supervisor at your home university and the responsible departmental coordinator at the HTW Dresden.

If at the beginning of your studies at the HTW Dresden there are changes to your chosen courses, please submit the change to the International Office. Both you and your supervisor at the HTW Dresden must sign the change to the Learning Agreement.


You can view the timetable here. As an exchange student, we cannot provide you with a ready-made timetable. Unlike students at the HTW Dresden, you have to create your own timetable by combining courses from different study courses and years. Please refer to your Learning Agreement. Changes to your Learning Agreement are only possible in exceptional cases. Please note that your subject coordinator must approve your final Learning Agreement. Your subject coordinator will help you to choose the courses (if you need to change your Learning Agreement) and how to put together the timetable during the first weeks of your study visit.


HTW Dresden and Dresden is your new home for the time of your exchange studies. A Welcome Week will take place to help you get started with administrative matters. We are happy to support and advise you in the most important matters.

Just in case there might be possible self-quarantine requirements after arriving in Germany, we advise international students to arrive earlier. Please mind the current quarantine regulations upon the entry of Germany. Information on quarantine regulations get regularly updated by the City of Dresden.

Please also find information for residents of student halls with regard to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) provided by Studentenwerk Dresden.


At the beginning of each semester there is a Welcome Week for our new international students. The week is organized in cooperation with the student association faranto e.V. and HTW Dresden. This usually takes place one week before the start of the courses.

International students are strongly advised to take part in the Welcome Week. The Welcome Week includes, among other things:

  • an overview of HTW Dresden
  • Registration at the International Office
  • advice on the organisation of your studies and the selection of your courses
  • Support in making appointments with your departmental coordinator
  • Introduction to the University Library
  • Introduction to German and foreign language courses of the Language Centre
  • Opening of a bank account and payment of the semester fee
  • Take out health insurance (if necessary)
  • Help with formalities for the citizens' office of Dresden

Exact time and place information can be found in the plan of the Welcome Week, which will be sent to you by e-mail shortly before the start of the semester.

Please bring the following documents with you to the Welcome Week:

  • valid passport or identity card
  • valid visa for study purposes (if required)
  • rental agreement
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Payment of the semester fee (students from non-EU countries pay by credit card on site; EU students pay by bank transfer before the semester begins)


The association faranto e.V. organizes a buddy program for international exchange students. You will receive further information by e-mail before you start your studies abroad at HTW Dresden.

All exchange students must register upon arrival at the International Office (Friedrich-List-Platz 1, Room Z 232). In order to enrol at HTW Dresden, you need the following proof:

  • the payment of the semester fee
  • health insurance
  • valid study visa (if necessary)

As soon as the payment of the semester fee has been received at HTW Dresden, the certificate of the health insurance company and a valid visa are available, you will receive your student identity card at the International Office (room Z 232).

  • For participants of the Welcome Week, matriculation takes place during the Welcome Week.

Students who study longer than one semester in Dresden must register for the second semester in due time. The re-registration for further studies takes place by paying the semester fee in the re-registration period.

The Student ID Card is simultaneously your library ID card, access card for the university parking area and some selected laboratories, as well as your semester ticket (with valid semester stamp).

The semester ticket is valid for 

  • all vehicles in the VVO area (Dresden and immediate surroundings) including DVB (trams, buses etc.) in Dresden
  • all local trains (Saxony) with the following abbreviations

 ­­   – Deutsche Bahn AG: S, RB, RE, IRE
    – Länderbahn GmbH (Vogtlandbahn, Trilex) VGB, TL, TLX

    – Transdev Regio Ost GmbH: MRB

    – Freiberger Eisenbahngesellschaft mbH: FEG

    – Erfurter Bahn GmbH: EB, EBx

    – Ostdeutsche Eisenbahn GmbH: OE

    – City-Bahn Chemnitz GmbH: CB

    – Döllnitzbahn GmbH (you have to pay a small fee for historical restoration)

    – Abellio Rail Mitteldeutschland GmbH 

  • not included are special vehicles (like historical buses/trains/cable railways) and long-distance trains (IC, EC, ICE, CNL, D)
  • if you want to leave Saxony, you will need a ticket from the last station in Saxony onward
  • combining the Student ID Card with tickets for long-distance trains is not possible
  • using buses and trams outside of Dresden with the Student ID Card is not possible 

Furthermore you may receive a discount with your HTW Student ID Card in some places like museums, cinemas and zoos.

+++You do not have to register at the Bürgerbüro for a stay in Dresden of up to 3 months.+++

If you stay longer than 3 months you have to register and report your address at the

Resident Registration Office of Dresden 
Theaterstr. 11
01067 Dresden.

The same applies if you move house within Dresden. Please always do remember to notify all important authorities (HTW Dresden, health insurance, etc.) of your new address.

Due to the Corona pandemic, it is necessary to make an appointment in advance, either by e-mail:, phone: +49 351 4 88 60 70 or via the online appointment system.

In order to register, you need: 

  • passport or identification card
  • rental contract
  • Landlord's certificate/housing confirmation

Students from non-EU countries who stay longer than three months are obliged to apply for a residency permit for academic purposes at the Immigration Authority of Dresden within the first three months after entering Germany.

Attention: Students from EU countries do not need to apply for a residence title at the Immigration Authority!

Address: Immigration Authority Dresden, Theaterstrasse 13/15, Room E/056

You need to schedule an appointment, please send an email to the following address: termin.auslaenderbehoerde(at)

Please bring along:

  • residency permit application
  • valid passport + copy
  • valid visa for academic purposes (except EU/EEA, USA, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland)
  • rental contract + copy
  • health insurance certificate + copy
  • registration certificate from the Resident Registration Office of Dresden + copy
  • certificate of enrolment or admission letter from the university + copy
  • proof of funds for sustaining living expenses + copy
  • 1 up-to-date biometric passport picture

For further information please consult the website of the Immigration Authority Dresden.

If you do not have a bank account in EURO currency, it is necessary to open a German bank account to debit the rent. Normally students are exempt from account maintenance fees. Please bring the following documents with you when opening the account:

  • valid passport or identity card
  • Registration/confirmation of registration from the Dresden Citizens' Office
  • Letter of admission/certificate of enrollment

Various banks are represented in Dresden, including Commerzbank (online), Deutsche Bank (online), or Sparkasse (service).

During my exchange semester at HTW Dresden


OPAL is the eLearning platform of the HTW Dresden. During the first days of the semester you should register at OPAL and enrol in the courses you attend during the semester. The lecturers will load teaching materials, exercises and further information into the electronic course folder.

Go to: and log in with your login data from the computer centre (s-number and password). (If necessary, you can change the language settings of the menu in OPAL to English.)

Please note: For the registration in some courses you need the course name and a password. You will receive it during the first session of each event. If you missed the registration information, please contact your instructor.


→  introduction to OPAL, login, user account, personal calendar

→  introduction to OPAL, registration for courses

→  introduction to OPAL, registration for groups and group work

This tutorial introduces students step by step to the OPAL learning platform. The focus is on registration, the user profile, the personal calendar and the design of the OPAL homepage. The second tutorial introduces students step by step to the OPAL learning platform and explains the area of teaching & learning, the courses, enrolment in courses and course elements as well as their use for students. The third tutorial introduces students step by step to the OPAL learning platform. This time the focus is on groups and group work.


The examinations at the HTW Dresden usually take place in February and July of each year. The exact period can be found in the academic calendar of the respective academic year.  If you have already completed your examinations earlier, you can also leave earlier.

The exact examination dates will be published on the Internet at the latest one month before the start of the respective examination section. APL (Alternative Prüfungsleistungen) are usually taken during the current semester. APL are tests, presentations, project work, exercises, oral performance tests, etc. The dates are announced by the examiners. The examination dates are published on this page. To do this, enter the name of the examiner "Prüfungen eines Prüfenden" and press "Suchen" (ATTENTION: This function is currently not possible by using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. Please use a different browser to view the examination schedule!).


All program students must register for the exams.

To register for the examinations, please send the current version of your learning agreement to the International Office (auslandsamt(at) In addition, please inform the responsible professor/teacher of the course about your participation in the examination before the examination.

You will be informed about the registration period by e-mail.

If you do not register for the exams with your current Learning Agreement, you are not entitled to take part in the exams!


If an examination date cannot be attended, it is possible to cancel at least one week before the examination date using a form available on the website of the examination office or directly at the examination office.

If an examination date cannot be attended at short notice due to illness, a medical certificate must be submitted to the examination office within 3 working days of the examination. If you do not cancel the examination, it will be considered as failed. In case of failure of an exam, the examiner can be contacted to make arrangements for a retake.


You can view the examination results in the QIS portal after publication until your exmatriculation. 

All exchange students receive their Transcript of Records by e-mail as soon as all grades have been reported to the Examination Office by the professors/lecturers. 

Please wait until 4 weeks after the official end of the examination period before contacting us about your Transcript of Records.

As long as you are not yet exmatriculated at HTW Dresden, you can view your grades via the QIS portal.


If you wish to stay one more semester at HTW Dresden, please confer with your home university as well as with your Departmental Coordinator. Please bring the filled form for prolongation of matriculation to the appointment with your Coordinator and sign both. You also have to agree on a new Learning Agreement.

Please hand in the signed prolongation of matriculation to the International Office. The Department of Student Affairs will issue your new letter of admission.

Please remember to pay the semester fee for re-registration within the re-registration period.


In most cases, you need to extent your study visa (exchange students from non-EU countries) at the Immigration Authority if you want to stay longer as planned. Please schedule an appointment via email "termin.auslaenderbehoerde(at)" and extent your study visa. You need to take your admission letter for the next semester with you. Usually, you get a temporary visa called "Fiktionsbescheinigung" valid for a few month until you get your residency permit ("Aufenthaltstitel"). Please show the "Fiktionsbescheinigung" and/or "Aufenthaltstitel" to the Student Secretariat in order that you can re-register for the next semester.

If you stay at HTW Dresden for longer than one semester, you need to re-register within the re-registration period by paying the semester fee.

There are two ways to do this:


The easiest way to register back for the next semester is at the self-service terminal with a German EC card. The self-service terminal is located in the entrance hall of the central building, behind the coffee machine. 


To transfer the semester fee, please use the following account:

  • Recipient: Hauptkasse Sachsen
  • IBAN: DE06 8600 0000 0086 0015 19
  • BIC: MARK DEF1 860
  • Bank: Deutsche Bundesbank
  • reason for payment, 1st line: HTW Dresden
  • reason for payment, 2nd line: matriculation number, last name, first name

Please note: a bank transfer will require up to 6 working days until the money can be registered at HTW Dresden. As soon as the amount has arrived at HTW Dresden, you will be able to update the stamp on your Student ID Card with the card printer.

In case the semester fee only arrives after the end of the re-registration period, the university charges a late fee of 10,- EUR. A lack of re-registration in due time may lead to expulsion!

The deadlines for re-registration and the amount of the current semester fee can be found in the information provided by the Department of Student Affairs.

Enrollment certificates can be conveniently printed from home via the QIS-portal.


If you do an internship outside of Dresden during the semester, it is possible to get exempt from the semester ticket fees. In this case you go without the ticket for public transport. Please ask for exemption from semester ticket fees at HTW Dresden’s Students’ Council (only in German).

Interested students and staff can engage in a variety of cultural and sporting activities at the HTW Dresden.


The university sport of the HTW Dresden is available to both students and staff. Among others, the following sports and courses are offered under professional supervision:

    Health and fitness (back school)
    Jazz dance
    Pop gymnastics
    Asian martial arts (Aikido, Karate, Taekwondo)
    Weight training
    Table tennis

Courses: alpine skiing, sailing, diving

Please refer to the information provided by the university sports department for the latest offers.


During the semester faranto e.V. offered several events in social, hiking, trips and party.

The "Kammerorchester ohne Dirigenten Dresden e.V." and the "Bläserkollegium Dresden e.V." were founded in 1967. A typical feature of the chamber orchestra without conductor is its Baroque style of playing, conducted by the concertmaster of the 1st violins. The repertoire ranges from baroque to classical and contemporary music to classical dance. The Brass Collegium is primarily dedicated to the cultivation and performance of little-known blaster chamber music from Saxony and Bohemia. The wood and brass blaster mostly play in small ensembles. Rehearsals take place once a week in the rooms of the university.

If you are interested in working in an artistic group or if you are interested in student clubs, courses or exhibitions, please contact the Studentenwerk Dresden.

Sickness/doctor search

Having a health insurance is obligatory.  With your health insurance card you can visit the doctor in case of malaise. You can find doctors with knowledge of foreign languages in the database of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians. You will find a list of all the specialists and can filter for doctors that speak your language. An overview of hospitals in the city of Dresden can be found on the website of the city.

The hospital Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers Service for International Patients.

For psycho-social counseling the Studentenwerk offers english speaking services. Please find more information here. Additionally you can find a list of english speaking therapists here.

For usual visits, call the doctor’s office in advance and make an appointment. For some doctors – even for general practitioners – you might get on a pretty long waiting list. So: In urgent cases (if you are really sick), go to the general practitioner when they open in the morning and wait until they treat you.

The doctor gives you prescriptions (Rezept) which you can hand in at the pharmacy to get the right medicine. Some of them have to be paid completely by yourself, for others you just have to add a small fee or they are completely paid by the insurance. During the night, on weekends and holidays there is a emergency pharmacy service. Certain pharmacies are open or can be reached by ringing the bell at the door. Since the pharmacy in charge of the emergency service ch-anges, you can either go to any pharmacy in your area, where the current emergency pharmacy is pointed out on the door or find it in the emergency service schedule of pharmacies.

Emergency numbers

Police: 110
Ambulance/Fire Brigade/Rescue services: 112
Poison control center: +49 361 730 730

Help in case of racist assaults

Germany is rated as a secure country. Yet it reasonable to avoid some places at certain times. In the light of the current "refugee crisis" resentments to strangers augment. We do our best and hope that you feel safe and welcome in Dresden.
Should you become victim of racist assaults anyhow, "Opferberatung der RAA Sachsen" will be on hand with help and advice for you. "Victim consultation of RAA Sachsen" are competent consultants and companions for legal action. They give emotional support and can place you to therapists if needed.

Beratungsstelle RAA Dresden
Bautzner Str. 41, HH
01099 Dresden
Tel. 0351 - 8894174
Fax: 0351 - 8049671
e-mail: opferberatung.dresden(at)

If you need help, are threatened or insulted, please do not heistate to approach us at any time.

International students have the possibility of working during their studies in Germany (part time job). The following statutory framework conditions shall apply here:

>> International students from the following countries:

Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Switzerland, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the Czech Republic, Hungary, United Kingdom or Cyprus

are permitted to work without authorisation in part-time employment during their studies. This employment may not exceed 20 hours per week, in order to remain excluded from making contributory payments to the statutory pension scheme.

>> International students originating from other countries:

International students originating from other countries may work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. The local immigration authorities must be notified accordingly: >> Immigration Authority (Ausländerbehörde) Dresden.

The DAAD provides more information on this topic at


My departure

As an exchange student you will automatically be exmatriculated at the end of the semester. You don't have to do anything.

If you are leaving earlier, it is advisable to exmatriculate. To do this, you must submit the completed form to the Student Administration Office during office hours. Exmatriculation automatically ends access to the QIS portal.

The following points must be observed after your studies at the HTW Dresden have ended and before you leave:

  •     Cancellation of your account with the Bank/Sparkasse
  •     Cancellation Library (Please return your borrowed books in time!)
  •     Cancellation at the Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgerbüro is possible at the earliest one week prior moving out your apartment. (Theaterstraße 11, 01067 Dresden)
  •     if necessary, deregistration from the health insurance (AOK, TK, Barmer...) with the deregistration certificate and the deregistration certificate from the               Einwohnermeldeamt (residents' registration office)

Forms and documents

1. Application at HTW Dresden

2. Documents During the Stay