1. Hauptnavigation
  2. Navigation des Hauptbereiches
  3. Inhalt der Seite

Practical information

The module database "Modulux" presents a general view of all study programmes at HTW Dresden and all available modules. Every single module can be called up to learn more about its content.

 to Module Catalogue

You can find all course lists from the Faculty of Business Administration following this link.

>> Exchange students from an EU country

Students from countries in the European Union, EFTA, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand and the USA do not require a visa to enter Germany. A valid passport or personal identification is sufficient.

>> Exchange students from outside of the EU

Students from countries that are not in the European Union or EFTA require a visa for their stay in Germany for academic purposes. Visa applications are to be submitted to the German Missions Office in your country. Students need a permission to study at a German university and proof of sufficient funds in order to receive a student visa.

German Missions Offices in your country: www.auswaertiges-amt.de/EN/AAmt/Auslandsvertretungen/Botschaften_node.html

Don't travel to Germany with a tourist visa! A tourist visa does not entitle students to take up a study programme and cannot be converted into a residency permit for study purposes after your arrival in the Federal Republic of Germany!


--> Students from non-EU countries who stay longer than three months are obliged to apply for a residency permit for academic purposes at the Immigration Authority of Dresden within the first three months after entering Germany.

Attention: Students from EU countries do not need to apply for a residence title at the Immigration Authority!

During your academic stay at Dresden University of Applied Sciences, you have several opportunities where you can live.

You may live in a student residence (4 months minimum stay) from Dresden Student Services (Studentenwerk Dresden). Students have to apply for accommodation via an online application procedure directly at Dresden Student Services. In order to submit the application, you have to upload a copy of the admission letter from HTW Dresden.

You can find extensive information about the different student halls and the online application for residence on the Dresden Student Services homepage.

If you arrive outside of a time specified by the Dresden Student Services, then we recommend the Dresden Student Services International Guest House, a hotel, or a youth hostel in Dresden for the first night. A good place is the A&O Hostel/Hotel - located right next to HTW Dresden, approximately 500 m from Dresden Main Station (Hbf).

 A faranto member has written a short review to give you an overview of living quality in several dormitories.

If you prefer to live in a living community, please consult Facebook groups e.g. or the following websites:

TU Dresden WG Boerse facebook group [ger]
wg-gesucht.de [en]
cybersax.de — flatshare offers [ger]
cybersax.de — flat offers [ger]
Franklin 20 — private dormitory [ger]

For students staying in Dresden up to three months, there is the possibility to find accommodation in the International Guest House of Dresden Student Services. Since the capacity of this guesthouse is limited, contact your Departmental Coordinator or the International Office of Dresden University of Applied Sciences with regard to this.

All students in Germany must be covered by a health insurance.  When enrolling as a student at HTW Dresden, you must provide proof of health insurance. In addition, the Immigration Authority, when issuing resident permits, reviews whether your health insurance is sufficient for your stay in Germany and meets the legal requirements.

>> Exchange students from an EU country

Students from countries within the European Union (EU) or students from countries with which Germany has developed a social insurance agreement (Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) must apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their native country and show it when enrolling. Please note that the European Health Insurance Card is only valid for temporary stays abroad and only covers necessary medical treatment. Please consult your health insurance company at home about your insurance coverage in Germany and apply for an EHIC on time.

The European Commission have developed a smartphone app which explains how to use the EHIC in different countries. It includes general information about the card, emergency phone numbers, covered treatments and costs, how to claim reimbursement and who to contact in case you have lost your card. The app is available for both iPhone and Android (simpy search for "EHIC").

>> Exchange students from outside of the EU

Students from countries that do not belong to the European Union (EU)/EFTA must be insured immediately by a German statutory health insurance company (e.g. AOK, Techniker Krankenkasse, Barmer...). The students' tariff for the statutory health insurance amount to approx. 80-90 Euro per month. After you signed the insurance contract, you need to bring the insurance confirmation ("Versicherungsbescheinigung") to the International Office of HTW Dresden.

In case you have a private health insurance for your stay in Germany, please consult one of the German statutory health insurance companies in order to clarify if your private health insurance is sufficient for your stay in Germany. In that case, the German statutory health insurance company will give you a "certificate of exemption from statutory health insurance" ("Bescheinigung über die Befreiung von der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherungspflicht"). Please bring this "certificate of exemption" to the International Office of HTW Dresden. In order to check whether your private health insurance is sufficient for your stay in Germany, you need to bring your insurance certificate (in German or English) from your private health insurance company that includes:

  • name of insured
  • duration of coverage
  • coverage and services
  • amount insured
  • validity of the insurance for Germany

Please note:

    • If you are privately insured, you can no longer switch to German statutory health insurance for the duration of your stay in Germany.
    • Students with private health insurance need to pay for all medical services and medications in Germany in advance and must receive a refund from their private health insurance company.


      → After your arrival in Dresden, you will receive support in obtaining health insurance during the Introduction Week.


      You can find more information about German health insurance at the DAAD website.


      We recommend acquiring travel insurance for your trip to Germany as well as for your trip back to your homeland. Please note that the travel insurance does not replace a health insurance!


      Please also check prior to the beginning of your academic stay if your private insurance possesses sufficient coverage in case of any accident (e.g. in case of property damage or personal injury to third parties and in case of accidents or theft).

      Dresden University of Applied Sciences does not charge any tuition, however a semester fee is charged. This fee will be used for student services, student council and your semester ticket that allows you to use all public transportation within Verkehrsverbund Oberelbe (VVO) free of charge. More information you will find here.

      >> Exchange students from an EU country

      Students fom EU countries should pay the semester fee (approximately 285 Euro) via bank transfer from the home country prior to the arrival in Dresden. By paying the semester fee on time, the Student ID Card (including the semester ticket) can be issued directly during the Introduction Week. Please note that it takes several working days until the money will be registered at HTW Dresden. You will get an email prior to the beginning of the semester with all relevant bank details and the current semester fee amount.

      >> Exchange students from outside of the EU

      Students from countries that do not belong to the European Union pay the semester fee directly at HTW Dresden during the Introduction Week in cash due to difficulties with transferring the semester fee from non EU countries (high charges). The students will be accompanied to pay at the cashier’s office at HTW Dresden during the Introduction Week.  


      Approximately 600-800 Euro per month should be budgeted for living costs in Dresden, depending on your individual lifestyle. This amount includes the cost of renting a room in the student residence, catering, study materials, possibly a German health insurance as well as the semester fee.

      Students who would like to attend courses/lectures at HTW Dresden in German and/or English will require good to very good German and/or English language skills (B1/B2).

      The language centre at HTW Dresden offers „German as a Foreign Language“-courses both in winter and in summer semester. As with all courses of the language centre, the German courses at the levels A1 to C1 of the Common European Framework for Languages are free of charge and comprise four contact hours per week. This corresponds to two 90-minute lessons per week. If you successfully complete one of these German courses, you can receive five ECTS credit points. To earn these credit points, your home university has to officially acknowledge your performance at Dresden University of Applied Sciences (Learning Agreement).

      In order to attend a „German as a Foreign Language“-course you need to take part in the "Introductory meetings on German language courses", which will take place in the Introduction Week of every semester. You complete a self-assessment grid overleaf with regard to your German language competencies and you will receive all relevant information during these meetings.

      Inform yourself on the homepage of the language centre

      You also have the opportunity to take English, French, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese language courses.

      faranto e.V. is a student organisation that accompanies and supports international students at Dresden University of Applied Sciences. Prior to arriving in Dresden, students from the different faculties of Dresden University of Applied Sciences will contact you, pick you up from the train station or airport, and accompany you to various offices. The students involved in faranto e.V. are available to you to answer questions concerning student life.

      faranto e.V. Facebook webpage.

      All exchange students must register after arriving in Dresden at the International Office, Friedrich-List-Platz 1, room Z 232. In order to be able to enrol at Dresden University of Applied Sciences, the following conditions are required:

      • payment of semester fee
      • health insurance certificate
      • valid visa

      As soon as the payment of the semester fee is received by HTW Dresden and proof of health insurance (registration or exemption) as well as a valid visa has been submitted to the International Office, you will receive your student ID card from the International Office (room Z 232).

      → For participants of the Introduction Week the enrolment will be organized during the Introduction Week.

      Students who intend to study in Dresden for longer than one semester must confirm their second semester in good time (prolongation of matriculation). Re-registration for further studies takes place after payment of the semester fee within the re-registration period.

      The Student ID Card is simultaneously your library ID card, access card for the university parking area and some selected laboratories, as well as your semester ticket (with valid semester stamp).

      The semester ticket is valid for 

      • all vehicles in the VVO area (Dresden and immediate surroundings) including DVB (trams, buses etc.) in Dresden
      • all local trains (Saxony) with the following abbreviations

       ­­   – Deutsche Bahn AG: S, RB, RE, IRE
          – Länderbahn GmbH (Vogtlandbahn, Trilex) VGB, TL, TLX

          – Transdev Regio Ost GmbH: MRB

          – Freiberger Eisenbahngesellschaft mbH: FEG

          – Erfurter Bahn GmbH: EB, EBx

          – Ostdeutsche Eisenbahn GmbH: OE

          – City-Bahn Chemnitz GmbH: CB

          – Döllnitzbahn GmbH (you have to pay a small fee for historical restoration)

          – Abellio Rail Mitteldeutschland GmbH 

      • not included are special vehicles (like historical buses/trains/cable railways) and long-distance trains (IC, EC, ICE, CNL, D)
      • if you want to leave Saxony, you will need a ticket from the last station in Saxony onward
      • combining the Student ID Card with tickets for long-distance trains is not possible
      • using buses and trams outside of Dresden with the Student ID Card is not possible 

      Furthermore you may receive a discount with your HTW Student ID Card in some places like museums, cinemas and zoos. 

      Further Information

      The Learning Agreement is a contract between you, your home university and the University of Applied Sciences Dresden. The agreement establishes which study goals you wish to meet at HTW Dresden and to which extent.

      Please consult our module catalogue "Modulux" in order to prepare your Learning Agreement. Contact also your coordinator at your home university for academic advising and whether your chosen courses will be acknowledge at your home University. You, your coordinator of your home university and the departmental coordinator of HTW Dresden need to sign the Learning Agreement.

      Please know that the courses specified in your Learning Agreement will be mentioned on your Transcript of Records at the end of your stay. In case you want to change / delete / add a course you must change your Learning Agreement accordingly. It is always very important to hand in a copy of your Learning Agreement to the International Office.

      If you choose courses from more than one study course / different faculties, they migh take place at the same time. You can change your Learning Agreement after your arrival within two weeks if that is the case. We cannot guarantee that all courses take place at different times. 

      As an exchange student, you will receive a Departmental Coordinator (professor of the corresponding faculty) for the duration of your academic stay at Dresden University of Applied Sciences who will support you with all of your academic issues. Your Departmental Coordinator will help you with all questions regarding your study programme at HTW Dresden (e.g. Learning Agreement), registration and participation in examinations, concerning testing results (Transcript of Records), as well as clarification of departmental questions. 


      Please follow this link for study schedules. As an exchange student we cannot provide you with a ready-made time table of the courses you have chosen. Unlike the HTW Dresden students, you have to create your own schedule by combining classes from the different degree courses and years chosen. Your Learning Agreement is the guidelline. It is designed to guarantee the continuation of the studies at your home university. Change of your Learning Agreement are only possible in exceptional cases. Please note that the final version has to be approved by your Departmental Coordinator. Your Departmental Coordinator will help you during the first weeks of your academic stay with possible changes of your Learning Agreement and how to create your personal study schedule.

      At the beginning of each semester, the university runs an introduction week for our new international students. The week is jointly organized by the students’ initiative faranto e.V. and Dresden University of Applied Sciences. It generally takes place one week before the lecture period starts.

      International students are strongly urged to participate in the introduction week. The introduction week usually includes:

      • an overview of HTW Dresden
      • enrollment/registration in the International Office
      • subject-related advice in organizing your studies and choosing your classes
      • assistance in making an appointment with your Departmental Coordinator
      • introduction to the university library
      • introduction to German and foreign language courses of the language centre
      • opening a bank account and paying the semester fee
      • taking out health insurance (if necessary)
      • help with formalities for the Resident Registration Office of Dresden

      For exact times and locations please consult the schedule of the introduction week, which will be send to you via email prior to the beginning of the semester.

      Please bring along the following documents:

      • valid passport or identification card
      • valid study visa (if necessary)
      • rental contract
      • proof of health insurance
      • funds to pay the semester fee in cash (only for non-EU-students; students from the EU pay prior to the beginning of the semester via bank transfer)

      Within 14 days after your arrival in Dresden, you have to register and report your address at the Resident Registration Office of Dresden (Theaterstr. 11, 01067 Dresden). The same applies if you move house within Dresden. Please always do remember to notify all important authorities (HTW Dresden, health insurance, etc.) of your new address.

      In order to register, you need: 

      • passport or identification card
      • rental contract
      • Landlord's certificate/housing confirmation

      → For participants of the Introduction Week, the registration will be organised by the student organisation faranto e.V.

      A german account at a bank in Dresden is required in order to pay your rent for your accommodation on time.

      Please take:

      • your passport or your identifiation card
      • enrolment certificate from the university
      • registration certificate from the Resident Registration Office

      Administrative fees for the bank account are normally waived (free of charge) upon presentation of your Student ID Card or certificate of enrolment.

      → Participants of the Introduction Week have the possibility to sign a bank contract during the Introduction Week.

      Students from non-EU countries who stay longer than three months are obliged to apply for a residency permit for academic purposes at the Immigration Authority of Dresden within the first three months after entering Germany.

      Attention: Students from EU countries do not need to apply for a residence title at the Immigration Authority!

      Address: Immigration Authority Dresden, Theaterstrasse 13/15, Room E/056

      You need to schedule an appointment, please send an email to the following address: termin.auslaenderbehoerde@dresden.de

      Please bring along:

      • residency permit application
      • valid passport + copy
      • valid visa for academic purposes (except EU/EEA, USA, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Korea, New Zealand, Switzerland)
      • rental contract + copy
      • health insurance certificate + copy
      • registration certificate from the Resident Registration Office of Dresden + copy
      • certificate of enrolment or admission letter from the university + copy
      • proof of funds for sustaining living expenses + copy
      • 1 up-to-date biometric passport picture

      For further information please consult the website of the Immigration Authority Dresden.

      OPAL is HTW Dresden's e-learning platform. You definitely should login to OPAL during the fist days of the semester.

      Go to https://bildungsportal.sachsen.de/opal/dmz/ and login with your login credentials from the computing centre.

      If you need, you can change the language settings of OPAL's menu into English.

      →  OPAL_Languag settings (PDF | 292 KB)

      Then register in the courses you are going to attend during the semester. The teachers will upload study materials, exercises and additional information into the online course folder. It is therefore very important to register.

      →  OPAL_Registration for courses (PDF | 359 KB)

      To register for some courses, you might need the course's name and a password. It will be given to you in the first lecture. If you missed the login information, please contact your lecturer.


      Introduction Videos to OPAL (only in German):


      →  introduction to OPAL, login, user account, personal calendar


      →  introduction to OPAL, registration for courses


      →  introduction to OPAL, registration for groups and group work

      If you wish to stay one more semester at HTW Dresden, please confer with your home university as well as with your Departmental Coordinator. Please bring the filled form for prolongation of matriculation to the appointment with your Coordinator and sign both. You also have to agree on a new Learning Agreement.

      Please hand in the signed prolongation of matriculation to the International Office. The Department of Student Affairs will issue your new letter of admission.

      In most cases, you need to extent your study visa (exchange students from non-EU countries) at the Immigration Authority if you want to stay longer as planned. Please schedule an appointment via email "termin.auslaenderbehoerde@dresden.de" and extent your study visa. You need to take your admission letter for the next semester with you. Usually, you get a temporary visa called "Fiktionsbescheinigung" valid for a few month until you get your residency permit ("Aufenthaltstitel"). Please show the "Fiktionsbescheinigung" and/or "Aufenthaltstitel" to the Student Secretariat in order that you can re-register for the next semester.

      Please remember to pay the semester fee for re-registration within the re-registration period.

      If you stay at HTW Dresden for longer than one semester, you need to re-register within the re-registration period by paying the semester fee.

      The easiest way to re-register for the next semester is at the university’s self-service terminal via a german EC-card (bank card). The student terminal is located in the entrance hall of the main building, behind the coffee machine. This is how you pay the semester fee via EC-Card at the university’s self-service terminal: description

      To make a remittance, please transfer the semester fee to the following account:

      Recipient Hauptkasse des Freistaat Sachsen
      IBAN DE06 8600 0000 0086 0015 19
      BIC MARK DEF1 860
      bank Deutsche Bundesbank
      reason for payment, 1st line personal special debit number*
      reason for payment, 2nd line matriculation number, last name, first name

      * The Student Secretariat sent you an e-mail with your personal special debit number (“Sonderbuchungskennzeichen”) to your HTW mail address.

      > Please note: a bank transfer will require up to 6 working days until the money can be registered by Dresden University of Applied Sciences. As soon as the amount has arrived at HTW Dresden, you will be able to update the stamp on your Student ID Card with the card printer.

      > In case the semester fee only arrives after the end of the re-registration period, the university charges a late fee of 10,- EUR. A lack of re-registration in due time may lead to expulsion!

      > Please consult the Student Secretariat for information about the deadlines of the re-registration period and the exact amount of the current semester fee.

      > Enrollment certificates can be conveniently printed from home via the QIS-portal.

      > Please note: If you do an internship outside of Dresden during the semester, it is possible to get exempt from the semester ticket fees. In this case you go without the ticket for public transport. Please ask for exemption from semester ticket fees at HTW Dresden’s Students’ Council http://www.stura.htw-dresden.de/stura/ref/verwaltung/ticket/hinweise-zur-befreiung-vom-semesterticket (only in German).

      After the completion of your academic stay at HTW Dresden and before your departure, please complete the following tasks:

      • apply for a Transcript of Records with your supporting professor (except for students of the Faculty of Business Administration!)
      • close your German bank account (Deutsche Bank, Commerzbank,…)
      • return any books you have borrowed to the university library
      • de-register from the Resident Registration Office of Dresden (Theaterstraße 11, 01067 Dresden)
      • cancel your German Health Insurance (AOK, TK, Barmer…) with the “Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung” and the deregistration certificate from the Resident Registration Office

      Having a health insurance is obligatory.  With your health insurance card you can visit the doctor in case of malaise. We have listed some doctors with knowledge of foreign languages, hospitals, and emergency numbers [PDF]. You may also want to consult the database of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians. You will find a list of all the specialists and can search for some with knowledge of foreign languages.

      The hospital Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers Service for International Patients.

      For psycho-social counseling the Studentenwerk offers english speaking services. Please find more information here. Additionally you can find a list of english speaking therapists here.

      For usual visits, call the doctor’s office in advance and make an appointment. For some doctors – even for general practitioners – you might get on a pretty long waiting list. So: In urgent cases (if you are really sick), go to the general practitioner when they open in the morning and wait until they treat you.

      The doctor gives you prescriptions (Rezept) which you can hand in at the pharmacy to get the right medicine. Some of them have to be paid completely by yourself, for others you just have to add a small fee or they are completely paid by the insurance.

      International students have the possibility of working during their studies in Germany (part time job). The following statutory framework conditions shall apply here:

      >> International students from the following countries:

      Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, the Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Switzerland, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the Czech Republic, Hungary, United Kingdom or Cyprus

      are permitted to work without authorisation in part-time employment during their studies. This employment may not exceed 20 hours per week, in order to remain excluded from making contributory payments to the statutory pension scheme.

      >> International students originating from other countries:

      International students originating from other countries may work 120 full days or 240 half days per year. The local immigration authorities must be notified accordingly: >> Immigration Authority (Ausländerbehörde) Dresden.

      The DAAD provides more information on this topic at https://www.study-in.de/en/plan-your-stay/job-and-career/part-time-job_26928.php

      Germany is rated as a secure country. Yet it reasonable to avoid some places at certain times. In the light of the current "refugee crisis" resentments to strangers augment. We do our best and hope that you feel safe and welcome in Dresden.
      Should you become victim of racist assaults anyhow, "Opferberatung der RAA Sachsen" will be on hand with help and advice for you. "Victim consultation of RAA Sachsen" are competent consultants and companions for legal action. They give emotional support and can place you to therapists if needed.

      Beratungsstelle RAA Dresden
      Bautzner Str. 41, HH
      01099 Dresden
      Tel. 0351 - 8894174
      Fax: 0351 - 8049671
      e-mail: opferberatung.dresden@raa-sachsen.de

      If you need help, are threatened or insulted, please do not heistate to approach us at any time.

      The German Academic Exchange Service provides information to prepare your study period abroad. Practical information regarding organisation of studies, financing, grants, life in Germany, accomodation, health insurance and visa) is available from the homepage of DAAD.

      Last changed: 17.05.2019  |  Author: International Office HTW Dresden