We welcome international prospective refugee students who intend to pursue an academic degree at the HTW Dresden! On this page we provide information about different study preparation programmes at the HTW Dresden. Please find our currently available study programmes here.
International prospective students with a refugee background as well as their assistants can request individual couneling sessions focussing on the following issues:
- Study programmes at the HTW Dresden
- Application and admission requirements
- Viewing of university entrance certificates obtained abroad (no official review provided!)
- Support in filing the self-disclosure form (in case of missing documents)
- Information and registration for Application-Tutorials (starting in 2019)
- German language programmes
- Financial and scholarship information
- Guest auditor application
- Networking to external services for refugees
If you wish to set up an individual counseling session please contact Mrs. Shalene Schmidt (please see her contact details in the menu on the right) or visit her during her regular office hours.
The HTW Dresden offers all prospective students study preparation programmes that are mostly free of charge. These include Mathematics-Intensive Courses, Mathematics-Bridging Courses Online (OMB+), didactical-education workshops ("Studieren leicht gemacht") and the online plattform UP2study. Further information about these programmes and their coordinators is available at https://www.htw-dresden.de/en/studying/prospective-students/preparing-for-your-studies.html.
In line with the DAAD Integra programme the HTW offers German C1 preparatory language courses for prospective refugee students.
The preparatory language courses are scheduled for April 2019 and are primarily designed for prospective refugee students with a conditional admission (bedingte Zulassung) with a missing German C1 proficiency. The registration requirement for the preparatory course is a proven language level of German B2. Prospective students without a conditional admission and with a lower German proficiency can enter the course upon individual agreement. More details about the preparatory language courses will be published here in due time. For questions in advance please contact Mrs. Schmidt (see contact details on the right).
Starting in 2019 the HTW Dresden will offer prospective refugee students Application-Tutorials. Due to their background, refugee students usually did not have the chance to prepare and research application formalities for German universities. Therefore in line with Application-Tutorials, the HTW Dresden wants to provide assistance for prospective refugee students during their application.
Application-Tutorials will be held prior to the winter semester 2019/20 and the summer semester 2020. More details about the tutorials will be published here in due time. For questions in advance please contact Mrs. Schmidt (see contact details on the right).
The tutorials will be held in German language. Hence, a language level of B1/B2 is recommended.
In line with the DAAD Welcome-Programme the HTW Dresden offers Welcome-Mentors for admitted refugee students starting in 2019. Welcome-Mentors are there to assist in questions related to study orientation or daily life questions:
Study related questions
- Participation at Orientation Weeks
- Participation at excursions and events organized by faranto e.V.
- Immatriculation and Payment of Immatriculation fee
- Study organisation (library, mensa, central university administration)
- Study schedule, module organisation and eLearning
- Examination organisation and Examination Office
- Re-registration at the HTW Dresden
- Finding medical practices and hospitals (medical care)
- Health Insurance questions (addresses and contact person)
- Local service offices (citizen office, immigration office, culture bureau)
- Housing questions (i.e. housing contract, private housing, Studentenwerk)
Welcome-Mentoring is offered before and at the beginning of each new semester. More details about how to register for Welcome-Mentors will be published here in due time. For questions in advance please contact Mrs. Schmidt (see contact details on the right).
Those seeking or entitled to asylum can participate in up to six selected modules of the 1st semester per study programme free of charge. Please first submit a completed application (pdf) upon presentation of your residence permit to the Student Secretariat (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadlines for guest auditions:
- for the winter semester: 30.09. of the same year
- for the summer semester: 15.03. of the same year
Please find all available modules of the 1st semester of your chosen study programme at https://apps.htw-dresden.de/en/modulux-moduldatenbank/frontend/study-program/?no_cache=1.
Once your audition application has been confirmed you will receive an auditor’s certificate when your application is approved. Please keep this on you at all times while at the HTW Dresden. Please contact Mrs. Shalene Schmidt (see contact details on the left menu bar) if you have any questions concerning your guest audition at the HTW Dresden.
The HTW Dresden issues a proof of counseling for prospective students with a refugee background in order to provide a free application via uni-Assist e.V. Please meet the following requirements to receive a proof of counselling:
- plausbible study prospect at the HTW Dresden
- chosen study programme and knowledge of the respective content
- formal requirements (certified university entrance, German B2-level*)
- attendance at one counselling session (minimun)
A proof of counselling is only issued for prospective students of the HTW Dresden!
* Please note that in order to apply via uni-Assist e.V. a proof of German B2-level is required. In order to receive an admission to study at the HTW Dresden, a proof of German C1-level is strictly required! >> Language requirements for studying at the HTW Dresden