1. Hauptnavigation
  2. Navigation des Hauptbereiches
  3. Inhalt der Seite

Accident insurance for students

When am I legally insured as a student?

Students are covered by statutory accident insurance and the insurance cover is non-contributory. The federal state accident insurance funds bear responsibility for accidents incurred by students at state and state-recognised universities. The costs of insurance are borne by the federal government and the federal states.

All those student activities are protected for which the University bears responsibility for the organisation. This applies to all “aspects of studies", such as

  • lectures, seminars
  • revision courses, mandatory or voluntary internships
  • excursions and study trips at home or abroad
  • round-trips (apart from any detours for private reasons)
  • visiting the university library
  • participating in exams
  • participation in university sports
  • Activity pertaining to student self-governance

Only enrolled students are covered by statutory accident insurance. However, insurance cover automatically applies at the point in time of enrollment or on the way home after ex-matriculation.

How can I claim against my insurance cover in the event of an accident?

If a student suffers an accident in this context, the accident insurance fund will pay for medical expenses and, if necessary, for rehabilitation costs. To review their obligation to pay (for the costs claimed by the attending physician), the accident insurance fund requires an accident report in line with section 193 SGB VII.
The form is available on the HTW homepage in be found in (login with S-number). This accident report is to be submitted to the HTW (Student Secretariat).

When is there no insurance cover?

The accident insurance does not cover private activities such as study work at home, revision courses from private providers or study trips undertaken on a private basis. This also applies if a student uses a stay abroad to conduct examinations for a study project.
If a trip is privately organised and carried out, it is therefore no longer automatically subject to statutory accident insurance cover.

Insurance cover for diploma thesis work / internships abroad

Any work in connection with a student’s Diploma, Bachelor or Master thesis is also not covered by the accident insurance if conducted outside of the University - typically in companies.

Students are not covered by accident insurance at the University for an external Diploma thesis, because he or she is not within the sphere of influence of the University, cf. § 2 para. 1 no. 8 c) SGB VII.

Nor is cover automatically provided by the statutory accident insurance when at a company, since § 2 (1) no. 2 SGB VII does not apply to external Diploma candidates. Statutory accident insurance only applies in the case of an external Diploma thesis if the Diploma student has an employment relationship with the company, or if he is employed by the company. Then § 2 para. 1 no. 1 SGB VII applies to employees.

It is therefore recommended to agree in the Diploma contract relating to a Diploma theses that accident insurance cover be provided through the training company’s accident insurance policy. Another possibility involves the Diploma student entering into an employment relationship with the company with their full social-legal integration and the accident insurance protection cover according to § 2 para. 1 Nr. 1 SGB VII.

As a third option, a private accident insurance policy could be taken out by the student.

The latter is recommended at least for internships abroad that are not organised by the University, given that there is no accident insurance cover in accordance with SGB VII, and statutory insurance cover can only be given in accordance with the regulations of the host country.

Last changed: 24.01.2019