In order to make the first steps in our real and virtual rooms easier for you, you will find on this page basic information on using the library.
- In order to access our full range of services, you will need a user card. It is available free of charge and is valid in the Central Library and the Pillnitz Branch Library.
- For university members, the user card is identical to the student or staff ID card and only needs to be activated in the library.
- Non HTW members can have a user card issued to them if they are resident in Saxony and at least 16 years old.
- Please bring your identity card or passport with confirmation of registration with you when registering.
- The Central and Branch Libraries have computers for catalogue and Internet research and a reading room for quiet work.
- University members can use the HTW-LAN
- with their laptops.
- Carrels and group work rooms can be reserved for HTW students in the Central Library.
- The majority of our stock can be borrowed and is freely accessible on shelves.
- The standard loan period for most media is 28 days. You can keep a book for a maximum of 168 days without presenting it to the library staff.
- You can find out the end of the loan period from our staff when you borrow a book, through the loan receipt on the self-check-out slip or by taking a look at your online library account.
- If the loan period is exceeded, fees will be charged.
In the library catalog you can search for media owned by the university library and view their location on the shelf (signature) or their online access. Our training courses on this topic can help you find your way around the catalogue.
- Login to the public PCs within the library: HTW members with HTW login and external users with library number and personal password.
- Registration outside the campus area (only for university members): Login via VPN (Virtual Private Network) using the profile "HTW-vpn-all" and the HTW-Login or with Shibboleth (only in the databases Scopus, ScienceDirect and Springer Link)
- As a general rule, registration in the personal library account results in a higher number of hits of electronic media in the library catalog.
Special location "Ruhepol"
You will find media on the topics of study organisation, life support and crisis management in our calm haven (Ruhepol). It is located on level B3 of the Central Library opposite the elevator. You can also obtain help with problems that may arise during your studies from the psychosocial counselling centre in Dresden.
Questions or Problems?
Please feel free to contact us at 0351 462-3696 or bibliothek(at)htw-dresden.de or turn to our friendly staff.