[Translate to English:] Willkommen an der HTW Dresden

Welcome Guide

On these pages we would like to give you some first small help for your stay at the HTW Dresden. More detailed information is available from the DRESDEN concept Welcome Center at the TU Dresden. Please use the Welcome Guide to prepare your stay.

Organize your guest stay

Visiting scientists are international experts who carry out research projects or technical consultations or give lectures for a limited period of time. These invited, outstanding scientists support the research efforts of the HTW Dresden and contribute to international recognition. An employment relationship is not established by the agreement.

This must be distinguished from doctoral students and postdocs who are at the HTW Dresden for the purpose of further academic qualification. Doctoral students should contact the Studentensekretariat

If you would like to come to the HTW Dresden as a scientist in research and teaching, you are usually invited by a faculty or a professor. A guest agreement will be concluded prior to your arrival. This is an agreement between you and the HTW Dresden.

There are a number of funding opportunities in Germany. This does not make research easy. In the following we would like to give you some help:

EU States, European Economic Area and Switzerland
If you come from an EU member state, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, you generally do not need an entry visa. Your valid identity card is sufficient. If you plan to stay longer than 90 days in Germany or to work here, please register at the resident registration office.

Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, South Korea and USA
Nationals of these countries do not require an entry visa. For stays of more than 90 days, however, you need a residence permit. You can apply for this after entering Germany. Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office.

Citizens of all other non-EU states                                                                                                                                                                                                  As a guest researcher you need a visa for your entry and stay in Germany of more than 90 days. In order to apply for the visa, you need a guest agreement.

The DRESDEN- concept Welcome Center at the TU Dresden will be happy to provide you with detailed information and assistance on visas.

Attention: Do not enter with a tourist visa (Schengen Visa/C-Visa)! It cannot be extended or converted after entering Germany. A Schengen visa (C visa) is only sufficient if your research stay will last less than 90 days in a period of 180 days.

SHORT-TERM STAY (less than 3 months)

For guests of foreign universities who need accommodation in Dresden for a short period of up to 3 months, we recommend accommodation in the International Guest House: https://www.studentenwerk-dresden.de/wohnen/gastinfo.html


If you prefer to live in your own apartment, you can find information on the following websites:
​​​​​​​wg-gesucht.de (shared flat)



Various insurance policies are important for your stay in Germany:

  •     Social security
  •     Health insurance
  •     Pension insurance
  •     Unemployment insurance
  •     Accident insurance
  •     Nursing insurance

The EURAXESS-Serviceportal provides you with up-to-date information on regulations applicable throughout Germany.

Arriving and living in Dresden

If you did not enter Dresden with a tourist visa and stay longer than 3 months, you have to register within 14 days after arrival in Dresden at the

Resident Registration Office of the City of Dresden, Theaterstrasse 11, 01067 Dresden

and give your address. The same applies if you move within Dresden.
Please bring the following documents with you:

  •     Passport or identity card
  •     rental agreement
  •     Landlord certificate / Accommodation provider confirmation

As soon as your stay is over, you will have to deregister again. This can also be done in writing.

If you stay longer in Dresden, it is advisable to set up a German account with a bank or savings bank. The following documents are required to open an account:

  •     Passport or identity card
  •     Registration confirmation from the Bürgerbüro

Please note the conditions of the individual banks.

Sickness/doctor search

Having a health insurance is obligatory.  With your health insurance card you can visit the doctor in case of malaise. We have listed some doctors with knowledge of foreign languages, hospitals, and emergency numbers [PDF]. You may also want to consult the database of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians. You will find a list of all the specialists and can search for some with knowledge of foreign languages.

The hospital Universitätsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus Dresden offers Service for International Patients.

For psycho-social counseling the Studentenwerk offers english speaking services. Please find more information here. Additionally you can find a list of english speaking therapists here.

For usual visits, call the doctor’s office in advance and make an appointment. For some doctors – even for general practitioners – you might get on a pretty long waiting list. So: In urgent cases (if you are really sick), go to the general practitioner when they open in the morning and wait until they treat you.

The doctor gives you prescriptions (Rezept) which you can hand in at the pharmacy to get the right medicine. Some of them have to be paid completely by yourself, for others you just have to add a small fee or they are completely paid by the insurance.

Help in case of racist assaults

Germany is rated as a secure country. Yet it reasonable to avoid some places at certain times. In the light of the current "refugee crisis" resentments to strangers augment. We do our best and hope that you feel safe and welcome in Dresden.
Should you become victim of racist assaults anyhow, "Opferberatung der RAA Sachsen" will be on hand with help and advice for you. "Victim consultation of RAA Sachsen" are competent consultants and companions for legal action. They give emotional support and can place you to therapists if needed.

Beratungsstelle RAA Dresden
Bautzner Str. 41, HH
01099 Dresden
Tel. 0351 - 8894174
Fax: 0351 - 8049671
e-mail: opferberatung.dresden(at)raa-sachsen.de

If you need help, are threatened or insulted, please do not heistate to approach us at any time.

The intellectual property rights arising during the stay shall be governed by German law. I.e. the guest has all rights to his own intellectual property and is treated as a free inventor. If new joint intellectual property is created through the cooperation of an employee of the HTW Dresden, the guest is obliged to report this to the Prorectorate Research and Development together with the HTW employee before any application for industrial property rights is filed and to quantify his own share of the invention in consultation with the co-inventor(s). The Prorectorate will consult with the inventors on the possibilities of applying for industrial property rights and develop an IP strategy that takes into account the interests of the inventors.

More Information

End of your stay

The following points must be observed after your stay at the HTW Dresden has ended and before your departure:

  •     Cancellation of the account at the bank/save bank
  •     Cancellation Library (Please return your borrowed books in time!)
  •     Cancellation at the Einwohnermeldeamt (Theaterstraße 11, 01067 Dresden)
  •     if necessary, cancellation with the insurance company