Saxony5 - Smart University Grid
The Saxon Universities of Applied Sciences (HAW) in Dresden, Leipzig, Mittweida, Zittau/Görlitz and Zwickau have joined forces to strengthen research-based knowledge and technology transfer. The transfer network "Saxony5" bundles the resources and competences of the five HAW as well as of several direct partners. By means of interdisciplinary cooperation and intelligent networking, a new quality in terms of content and method is to be achieved in the transfer and thus a sustainable welfare development for the region. Saxony5 is funded over five years by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research and the Joint Science Conference as part of the "Innovative University" programme.
Quick Introduction to Saxony5
Since 2007, the five Saxon universities of applied sciences (HAW) in Mittweida, Zwickau, Zittau/Görlitz, Dresden and Leipzig have been working together conceptually and in terms of content to fulfil their missions in teaching and research.
In the future, the research-based transfer will also take place jointly as a third mission, which will raise cooperation to a new level. The five HAWs of the Free State of Saxony bundle know-how and resources in the transfer network Saxony5 on the basis of a common transfer strategy. The self-image of the Transfer Network is a Smart University Grid for the intelligent networking of knowledge flows.
The Smart Grid, the most modern organizational form of electrical energy networks, is the godfather. In line with regional needs and the decentralised availability of special competences, the HAW are to supply the region's economy and society with knowledge and technology throughout the region through networked knowledge and technology transfer in the sense of regional knowledge service providers. The motivation for this transfer network lies in the use of synergies: a) by achieving a critical mass and b) by bundling complementary profile areas in the transfer.
Through interdisciplinary cooperation, a new methodological quality in transfer is also achieved. The probability that a technology partner from the region and an interdisciplinary HAW partner will find each other via a regional search is 100 times higher due to the area-wide network (regional factor 5), the thematic profile density (thematic factor 5) and the joint development of new transfer media and communication channels (media factor 4). The transfer network thus also increases the potential for successful transfer and innovation activities with the HAW in the region by a factor of 100.
The "Innovative University" funding initiative of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) is aimed at universities that already have a coherent strategy for their interaction with industry and society as well as structures and experience in the transfer of ideas, knowledge and technology. The funding gives them the opportunity to do so,
- strategically develop and implement their profile in the transfer of ideas, knowledge and technology throughout the university or in selected thematic areas of the university,
- to optimize their transfer structures,
- to strengthen their networking with the regional environment,
- to strategically align established instruments for the transfer, and
- in particular to develop innovative forms of cooperation with the economy, culture and society.
Saxony5 comprises 14 sub-projects, including currently eight Co-Creation Labs.
- TV1 | Pro-Transfer Change Management (Head HTWK Leipzig)
- TV2 | OrgaNetz (Location HTW Dresden)
- TV3 | CCL Factory of the Future (Head HTW Dresden)
- TV4 | CCL Networked Mobility (Head HTWK Leipzig)
- TV5 | CCL Additive Manufacturing (Head of HS Mittweida)
- TV6 | CCL Supply Infrastructure (Head of HS Zittau Görlitz)
- TV7 | CCL Agriculture and Biodiversity (Head HTW Dresden)
- TV8 | CCL Surface Engineering (Head of West Saxon HS Zwickau)
- TV11 | Cluster for Media Knowledge and Technology Transfer (Head HS Mittweida)
- TV12 | Business Cluster for Liquidation Planning (Head of West Saxon HS Zwickau)
- TV13 | Marketplace of Ideas (Head of HS Zittau Görlitz)
- TV14 | Transfer over heads (Head HTW Dresden)
Co-Creation Labs bundle complementary professional strengths and experimental possibilities of at least three HAWs on a market or socially relevant topic (e.g. networked mobility) with the aim of being perceived by the regional economy as a "system provider". They serve for the exchange about demand and transfer offers, for the demonstration of new technologies, for the low-threshold testing of ideas and solutions, but also as crystallization points for interdisciplinary network work, further education and the initiation of new cooperations.
Saxony5 builds a bridge between the characteristics of the individual sub-regions and the research profiles of the five HAW. Each Saxony5 university will be present and active with its specific profile in each of the associated sub-regions.