Study as Freemover

Study visit without exchange program (Freemover)

No partner university? No problem! — The sky is the limit.

[Translate to English:] Flugzeugfenster

If you do not wish to study at one of our partner universities as part of an exchange program, you must contact the foreign university yourself to find out about the study conditions and enrolment formalities. General information on foreign higher education systems and possible funding can be obtained from the International Office or can be found on the homepage of the Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdienstes.


Application for my studies abroad as a Freemover

  • Completion of the first academic year (except Master's students)
  • Enrolment at the HTW Dresden for a (complete) course of study leading to a recognised qualification
  • Study project at a university worldwide with which there is currently no contractually regulated exchange programme
  • the study project must be organised by the students themselves
  • professional supervision at the HTW Dresden must be guaranteed

You can apply to any university worldwide that explicitly accepts visiting students and fulfils the following requirements:

  •     The university must be accredited ( or through other international accreditations),
  •     The modules offered by the university should match the modules offered by the respective course of studies at the HTW Dresden,
  •     the conversion of notes should be clear and transparent.

In contrast to a contractually regulated exchange programme, tuition fees are incurred at the foreign university. An overview of the tuition fees in the individual countries can be found in the Länder­datenbank des Deutschen Akademischen Austauschdiensts (DAAD). Please enquire about the exact fees at the individual university.

For an initial contact, please contact the International Office of the respective university. If the international university already has partner universities in Germany and is mentioned in reports or recommendations of this university, you can also use them to gain information.

Students at the HTW Dresden submit their application to the International Office for the following academic year (winter and summer semester) by 15 February at the latest.

Applications may be submitted to the office (Z-232), by post or by e-mail (

If you are a freemover, you must also apply to the HTW Dresden for a stay abroad.

Please submit the following documents:

  •     Application for a stay abroad
  •     Transcript of records (from the QIS portal)
  •     Proof of your language skills (self-disclosure)
  •     Letter of motivation (maximum one A4 page, in English or German)
  •     Detailed justification for the above-mentioned application with the following information/documents:
  1.     Is the desired university sufficiently accredited? ( or other international accreditations)
  2.     Does this university already have partner universities in Germany with experience reports or recommendations from the academic staff of this university?
  3.     Does the module offer fit my study programme? (Please enclose module descriptions.)
  4.     How is the grading and the conversion of grades carried out at the university? How are credits awarded and converted into ECTS? How many ECTS does the conversion of the local credits result in?
  5.     Who takes over the supervision at the HTW and the foreign university? (An advisory agency may be able to establish contact:;

The international coordinator or the International Office will inform you about the selection decision of the faculty.

Selection criteria of the HTW Dresden

Academic achievements - Language skills - Study projects - Motivation - Crediting of academic achievements after return to the HTW Dresden - Extra-curricular activities - Additional internal faculty selection criteria may exist.

Possible study contents during the stay

// Courses
// Project work (study projects/research projects)
// Theses (diploma thesis or bachelor thesis or master thesis)

Organizational expenditure

As a freemover, you go abroad if you would like to organise your studies abroad as a visiting student independently of contracts with our university. Please note that the organisational effort is considerably higher than for a study visit to a partner university. A stay abroad requires thorough preparation. This should start at least one year in advance. For certain countries and scholarship applications, a longer lead time is required. Please inform yourself in good time about your country of study, the foreign university, the necessary subject and language requirements (e.g. GMAT, GRE, TOEFL) for enrolment as well as the entry and residence regulations.

If you do not wish to study at a partner university, you must inform yourself about the study conditions and enrolment formalities at the foreign university.

In order to ensure that your academic achievements abroad are recognised at the HTW Dresden, you must conclude a learning agreement before your stay. This is often requested by the host university together with your application documents.

In the learning agreement, you determine together with the programme coordinator (contact person for the partner university) or dean of studies in your faculty which modules you want to study abroad and which modules of the HTW Dresden you want to replace.

  •     Avoid significant differences between the modules you have chosen and those you actually want to take.
  •     Orient yourself on the curriculum of your degree programme for the corresponding semester
  •     Do not choose modules that duplicate content that you have already taken at the HTW Dresden.

You can supplement your module plan with :

  •     a language module in the language of instruction of the host university
  •     Modules in the soft skills area

As in a semester at the HTW Dresden, you should complete courses amounting to 30 ECTS credits at the host university.


After the programme officer/dean of studies has confirmed your learning agreement, you present the document to the examination board together with the corresponding module descriptions. The examination board checks your learning agreement according to the criteria level, learning outcomes, scope of work and profile of your degree programme to ensure that the competences acquired abroad do not differ significantly from the learning objectives at the HTW Dresden.


If the examination board has confirmed your learning agreement, send it to the host university for signature. The learning agreement signed by three parties - you, the HTW Dresden and the host university - is intended to guarantee you recognition upon your return from abroad. The Learning Agreement can be sent by post or by e-mail.

In the internal area you will find detailed information about the process.


Students with German or EU citizenship do not require a visa for study stays at a partner university within the European Union.


Students of the HTW Dresden with a citizenship outside the EU must check whether a visa is required for a study stay at a partner university in the European Union. Please contact the International Office of the partner university and the respective embassy for information on the visa requirements. Also check whether the country is implementing the REST Directive.


If you spend part of your studies abroad, you must remain enrolled at HTW Dresden. During this time you will retain your student status and the student health insurance. Depending on the course of study, it might be that you have to take a holiday semester. Please inform yourself at your Dean of Studies or in the Student Secretariat. However, a holiday semester may also be an advantage if it is not required. Please inform yourself at the examination and enrollment office. Please note that you have to unsubscribe from exams that you are supposed to have if you weren't abroad. Inform yourself on the homepage or in the examination office. You can request an exemption from the semester ticket at the student council.

Funding opportunities for Freemover

The application for foreign BAföG should be submitted to the responsible BAföG office (depending on the target region) at least 6 months before a planned stay abroad, separately from the application for domestic BAföG. Even if you do not receive a domestic BAföG during your studies at the HTW Dresden, you should still inform yourself about the Auslands-BAföG, since the monthly foreign grant, the grant for tuition fees (up to 4,600 EUR), the grant for travel expenses or the foreign health insurance grant often amount to several thousand euros.
More information can be found at

The International Office is not authorised to fill in or confirm BAföG forms. Nevertheless, we would like to give you a little help at this point:

Form 2

Form 2 is generally not confirmed by the HTW. According to an agreement with the BAföG offices, the 4th certificate of matriculation (bottom right) is simply attached to this form. This certificate contains the additional note "(also as a template at the Office for Educational Assistance according to § 9 BAföG)". Should problems nevertheless arise, please contact the student office.

Form 5 (Confirmation of previous performance)

If you have any questions about Form 5, please contact the examination office.

Form 6 (Confirmation of mandatory internship)

This form will be confirmed by the responsible internship officer of the faculty.
The confirmation is only given for compulsory internships, not for additional or voluntary internships.
The expert opinion on the visit of the foreign educational institution only takes place after special request of the Bafög office in the faculty.



Students and graduates of all subjects at the HTW Dresden who would like to study one or two semesters in the academic year 2021-2022 for four to nine months as graduate students at a US university (Master level) can apply for a study grant from the Fulbright Commission.
Selection criteria are good academic performance, social commitment and the potential to engage in transatlantic relations.

The scholarship offers up to $34,500 in financial support for a nine-month study program at a graduate school in the U.S., as well as advice and support from Fulbright Germany and our U.S. partners, and admission to the global Fulbright network. In the case of shorter scholarships (at least four months), a proportionate calculation is made.

The application deadline for the academic year 2020-2021 has expired. After May 13, 2020, the Fulbright Commission will publish the current guidelines and application documents. The application deadline for the academic year 2021/2022 will be in August 2020.

Further information can be found on the Fulbright homepage.



Ms. Charlotte Securius-Carr, Division Manager for Fulbright Programs
Mr. Thomas Mutzke, Program Officer

German Programs
Fulbright Commission
Lützowufer 26
10787 Berlin

For whom is the HAW.International scholarship suitable and what is supported?

Students of all disciplines can apply for Bachelor's, Master's and Diploma courses at the German HAW/FH.
Under certain conditions, persons with foreign citizenship can also be included in the support measures. Funding is available for study stays and stays abroad as part of a thesis.


According to the official DAAD announcement, the application documents must be submitted directly to the DAAD by 31 May/31 August /31 October of each calendar year.


German Academic Exchange Service
Unit ST24
Kennedyallee 50
53175 Bonn, Germany
Head of Unit:
Wolfgang Gairing
Phone: 0228 882 469

The Institut Ranke-Heinemann awards scholarships and grants as follows:

  •     Every freemover who wants to study in Down Under will be included in the scholarship program.
  •     All universities and study programmes in Australia and New Zealand are affiliated to the programme, which guarantees financial support and assistance throughout the application process through
        IDP Education.
  •     Independent, neutral and free study guidance (no fees)

Funding opportunities:

  •     Down Under Study Grant: Guaranteed grant of up to 10% of the tuition fees of a semester, i.e. depending on the study programme, savings of between 500 and 3000 dollars.
  •     Travel expense scholarship: 1000 Euro grant per semester. Raffle among all students.
  •     Current announcements:
  •     In addition, access to all scholarships of all Australian and New Zealand universities.

For whom is the PROMOS scholarship suitable and what is supported?

Students enrolled at the HTW Dresden  can apply for the PROMOS scholarship with the intention of graduating.
Stays in the country of origin cannot be funded.

As part of the DAAD PROMOS programme, the HTW Dresden supports the realisation of

  •     Study visits (1 to 6 months/monthly partial scholarship rate)/Theses (university/monthly partial scholarship rate or company/travel allowance) ,
  •     Internships (6 weeks to 6 months/travel allowance),
  •     Study and group trips abroad under the direction of a university teacher (package) to non-European countries.


Please submit the following application documents for the current calendar year to the International Office of the HTW Dresden by 15 February of the calendar year (by e-mail as a PDF file to

  •  Application form PROMOS (Please first save and then open with Adobe Reader. The application form cannot be opened in the browser.)
  •  Proof of examination results (e.g. Transcript of Records)
  •  Proof of language proficiency (HTW/DAAD language certificate as language certificate after successful course participation or as module mark on certificate, in the case of lower semesters also language certificate on Abitur certificate counts, note: To acquire the HTW/DAAD language certificate without prior course participation, please contact the language centre. The exhibition can take up to 4 weeks. A self-assessment of language skills will not be accepted as proof of language proficiency).
  •  Study project / letter of motivation
  •  Learning Agreement (if available)
  •  Confirmation from the university (if available)
  •  Internship agreement (if available)
  •  Confirmation of the company (if available)


The selection procedure is carried out according to the subject, language and personal requirements of the students on the basis of the application documents. The selection of scholarship holders and the order of students (including reserve or replacement candidates) are made according to the award and selection criteria of the PROMOS Selection Commission of the HTW Dresden.
Each faculty determines an order for the applicants of its own faculty. For better comparability of students from different faculties, a point system is used.
The selection committee determines a cross-faculty order.

The decision is based on a number of factors:

  •     Academic achievements
  •     knowledge of languages
  •     study project
  •     motivation
  •     Extra-curricular activities (committee activities, StuRa, faculty council, faranto e.V., IAESTE - local committee, AIESEC - local committee, involvement in the supervision of international exchange students of the HTW Dresden)

Priorities/sub-priorities are defined in the light of the project abroad, regions/countries/universities, degree programmes, study progress and multiple funding.

  •     Partner universities have priority
  •     Stays in CEE countries have priority over other countries
  •     Engineering courses of studies before economic science courses of studies
  •     Students of international degree programmes (IB, IMES) before other degree programmes, as they have to complete compulsory semesters abroad.
  •     Students who have already been supported in another program by the HTW Dresden will be treated as subordinated students.

For candidates who want to move up, it may also be possible for the scholarship award to be confirmed at a later date with a new notification.

For whom is the Vulcanus Japan program suitable and what is supported?

For the Vulcanus Japan program, which begins in September and ends in August of the following year, can apply

  •     Citizens of EU member states or COSME* partner countries,
  •     Students of an EU / COSME* partner university enrolled at the time of application between the 4th official academic year and the penultimate year of the doctorate**,
  •     and present an enrolment certificate which is valid until at least 3 months before the start of the course of study.

    (*) You are not an EU citizen? If your home country has joined the COSME and the contract has come into force, then you can apply. (You can check the status of your home country and your university here.)
    (**) Computer science, engineering, mechanical engineering, chemistry, electronics, biotechnology, electrical engineering, physics, telecommunications, nuclear engineering, construction, metal materials, ceramics, production systems...

The programme consists of industrial placements for EU/COSME* students in Japan. The students complete:

  •     a one-week seminar on Japan,
  •     a four-month intensive Japanese course,
  •     an eight-month internship in a Japanese company

Goals of the program:

  •     Gain insight into the full range of advanced technologies used by a leading Japanese company;
  •     Learn Japanese, the Japanese culture within the enriching,
  •     With a view to a future career, acquire the ability to interact with Japan in human and economic respects.


The application documents must be submitted by post by 20 January 2020 in accordance with the application procedure.


Office in Europe
EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation
Rue Marie de Bourgogne 52
B-1000 Brussels
Tel: +32 (0)2 282 00 40
Fax: +32 (0)2 282 00 45

Please also inform yourself on the following websites:

During my studies abroad

If there are changes at the host university, e.g. because courses overlap or are not offered, you can change your learning agreement. The changes must be confirmed by your programme coordinator, the examination board and the host university no later than four weeks after your arrival at the host university. Please also send the amended learning agreement to the International Office. You can send the document either by post or by e-mail. Now you can take the selected modules abroad and take the corresponding examinations.

Changes to the agreed learning agreement must be recorded and approved by an amended learning agreement no later than four weeks after the student's arrival at the host university.

We are very happy about postcards. They will receive a place of honour on our pinboard.

Address: HTW Dresden - International Office, Friedrich-List-Platz 1, 01069 Dresden

After my studies abroad


Upon successful completion of the study visit, the host university will issue you with a Transcript of Records in accordance with the learning agreement. Please send the transcript of records upon receipt to or hand it in directly at the International Office (Room Z 232) during office hours.
Please note: If a student does not bring home any of the credits provided for in the Learning Agreement, the Erasmus+ mobility grant can be partly or fully reclaimed.


At the end of your stay, your host university will send you a Transcript of Records of the modules you have taken and the examination results you have achieved. You submit this together with the first and possibly second amended learning agreement to the responsible examination board. If, contrary to the learning agreement, examination results are not to be recognised or modules are to be recognised as additional achievements, inform the examination board informally. The examination board enters the previously approved, recognised achievements with the corresponding grade in the last part of the learning agreement (after mobility) and confirms these.

The conversion of grades takes place in the faculty. For this purpose, you submit the necessary information about the foreign grading system to the examination board. In the case of incomparable grading systems, the note "passed" is included (and the examination results are not included in the further grading calculation). This is done in such a way that the ECTS points of this module are also included in the total amount of ECTS points.

Your results from abroad are then transferred to the HIS POS. On the certificate, examinations taken and recognised abroad are marked in a suitable manner. Please note that the process description P U15 - Recognition of examination performances is binding for the procedure.

The home university guarantees that ECTS credits earned abroad will be credited towards the credits/time required to obtain a degree at the home university. The academic achievements can only be recognised if a clearly defined study programme has been agreed with you in writing in a learning agreement. Academic recognition takes place after successful completion of the mobility stay on the basis of the proof of achievement issued to you by the host university. You may be refused credit or recognition for your academic achievements if you have not achieved the academic level required by the host university or have otherwise failed to meet the conditions required by the participating institutions for recognition.

If you would like further information on recognition procedures and guidelines for a good recognition process, we recommend the following addresses:

  •  The nexus project of the German Rectors' Conference (HRK) promotes study visits abroad and has therefore made it one of its tasks to create quality standards for the recognition of academic achievements. In this context, the project publishes important information and practical examples on the recognition of study and examination achievements on its website and also provides basic publications.
  •   The brochure "Promoting Mobility by Facilitating Recognition" from the International Office of the University of Leipzig also deals with good recognition practice for study and examination achievements. The HTW Dresden supported the project together with other institutions.

We would like to ask you to send us a report (with photos if possible) of your experiences abroad so that as many future students as possible can benefit from your experiences. With your consent, the experience report will be uploaded to the HTW website under "Experience Reports". Please send us your experience report as a PDF file with a short confirmation about the approval of the publication.


Documents and papers

1. Application for a Stay Abroad

2. Learning Agreement