Study in Europe

Study Abroad in Europe with Erasmus+

Who moves is moving Europe!

[Translate to English:] Erasmus+ Logo

Semester abroad and Corona

  • Despite the corona pandemic, the ERASMUS program continues. Physical mobility is possible and is also financially supported, but the DAAD advises against physical mobility to corona risk areas classified by the RKI.
  • New in 20/21: For the first time, virtual mobility is also permitted in ERASMUS, i.e. pure online study at the host university from Germany, if the host university offers online study. However, virtual mobility is not financially supported.
  • Unfortunately, there is no planning security. Please note that all commitments to mobility are subject to change. Depending on the situation, the EU, national governments and the host universities will adopt regulations which will ultimately be binding and which we must all follow. As soon as we receive relevant information in the International Office, e.g. from the DAAD as National Agency, we will publish it on our website and inform you by email if necessary. Please also inform yourself independently on the websites of your host universities.

My Application - easy and uncomplicated

  • Completion of the first academic year (except Master students)
  • Enrolment at the HTW Dresden in full-time studies, which leads to a recognised degree
  • Study visit to an Erasmus+ partner university in the 28 EU member states + Turkey, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and FYR Macedonia (except Switzerland and own residence)
  • Existing inter-institutional Erasmus+ agreement with the partner university

The awarding of a mobility grant will be in accordance with the grant award procedure of the HTW Dresden. There is no legal entitlement to funding under the Erasmus+ programme and therefore can not be claimed against the university.

Before you apply for a study abroad, you should clarify for yourself where you want to go and with which goals. Is a particular language of instruction or language important to you? Do you want to deepen a certain focus of your studies, etc?

To find the right host university for you, inform yourself:

  • about our existing partner ships
  • on the corresponding websites of the host universities
  • through the experience reports of your fellow students (Please log in with your user ID.)
  • on our International Day (annually at the end of November)
  • on the pages of the DAAD
  • on the country information pages of DAAD

If you have short-listed one or more universities, consult with the respective programme coordinator (contact person for the respective partner university) in your faculty. 

After the consultation, you can decide for a host university according to your subject-specific and language skills, as well as your personal wishes.
Find your programme coordinator in the directory of partner universities.

There are NO study fees for a study visit at one of our Erasmus+ partner universities.

Students at the HTW Dresden submit their application to the International Office for the following academic year (winter and summer semester) by 15 February at the latest.

Applications may be submitted to the office (Z-232), by post or by e-mail (

If there are still exchange places available at the desired partner university, an application at a later date is definitely possible. However, this excludes inclusion in the selection process of the faculty.

Please submit the following documents:

The international coordinator (or Erasmus+ university coordinator) informs you about the selection decision of the faculty.

If there are still exchange places available at the desired partner university, an application at a later date is definitely possible. However, this excludes inclusion in the selection process of the faculty.

Selection criteria of the HTW Dresden

Subject-specific achievements-Language skills-Study plans-Motivation-Crediting for the coursework after returning to the HTW Dresden-Extracurricular activities-In addition, faculty internal selection criteria may exist

Possible study contents during your stay

// lectures
// project works (study projects/research projects)
// final thesis (diploma thesis or Bachelor thesis or Master thesis)

Organisational expenditure

A stay abroad requires thorough preparation. This should start at least one year before the start of the stay. A longer lead time is required for certain countries and scholarship applications. Please inform yourself in good time about your country of study, the foreign university, the necessary subject and language requirements (e.g. GMAT, GRE, TOEFL) for enrolment and the entry and residence regulations.

Find out from the programme coordinator of your partner university and on the homepage of the partner university which additional registration formalities are required on the part of the partner university and apply there within the application deadline. As a rule, the host university should already have been informed of your nomination by the International Office.
Don't forget to take care of your accommodation, financing, academic recognition, insurance and, if necessary, your visa (Turkey) at the same time.

There are no tuition fees for a study visit to an Erasmus+ partner university.

If your application to the HTW Dresden for a study place abroad was successful, you should familiarize yourself with the modules and courses of the host university by then at the latest. In order to ensure that your academic achievements abroad are recognised at the HTW Dresden, you must conclude a learning agreement before your stay. This is often requested by the host university together with your application documents. In the learning agreement, you determine together with the programme coordinator (contact person for the partner university) or dean of studies in your faculty which modules you want to study abroad and which modules of the HTW Dresden you want to replace.

  •     Avoid significant differences between the modules you have chosen and those you actually want to take.
  •     Orient yourself on the curriculum of your degree programme for the corresponding semester
  •     Do not choose modules that duplicate content that you have already taken at the HTW Dresden.

You can supplement your module plan with :

  •     a language module in the language of instruction of the host university
  •     Modules in the soft skills area.

As in a semester at the HTW Dresden, you should complete courses amounting to 30 ECTS credits at the host university.


After the programme officer/dean of studies has confirmed your learning agreement, you present the document to the examination board together with the corresponding module descriptions. The examination board checks your learning agreement according to the criteria level, learning outcomes, scope of work and profile of your degree programme to ensure that the competences acquired abroad do not differ significantly from the learning objectives at the HTW Dresden.


If the examination board has confirmed your learning agreement, send it to the host university for signature. The learning agreement signed by three parties - you, the HTW Dresden and the host university - is intended to guarantee you recognition upon your return from abroad. The Learning Agreement can be sent by post or by e-mail.

In the internal area you will find detailed information about the process.


Students with German or EU citizenship do not require a visa for study stays at a partner university within the European Union.


Students of the HTW Dresden with a citizenship outside the EU must check whether a visa is required for a study stay at a partner university in the European Union. Please contact the International Office of the partner university and the respective embassy for information on the visa requirements. Also check whether the country is implementing the REST Directive.


If you spend part of your studies abroad, you must remain enrolled at HTW Dresden. During this time you will retain your student status and the student health insurance. Depending on the course of study, it might be that you have to take a holiday semester. Please inform yourself at your Dean of Studies or in the Student Secretariat. However, a holiday semester may also be an advantage if it is not required. Please inform yourself at the examination and enrollment office. Please note that you have to unsubscribe from exams that you are supposed to have if you weren't abroad. Inform yourself on the homepage or in the examination office. You can request an exemption from the semester ticket at the student council.


The latest news on grants for studying abroad in Great Britain can be found in the official publications of Erasmus+.

Funding - Erasmus for everybody

The application for the Erasmus+ funding automatically takes place with the application for a study abroad by 15 Februar of the calendar year.

All Erasmus students receive a mobility grant in addition to the tuition fee waiver at the host university. The Erasmus grant is not a full scholarship but a partial scholarship. The amount of the grant is intended to help cover the additional costs abroad and depends on the group of countries in which the respective host country is classified by the EU Commission.

New in 20/21: For the first time, virtual mobility is also permitted in the Erasmus program, i.e. pure online study at the host university from Germany, if the host university offers online study. However, this virtual mobility is not financially supported.

Physical study abroad can be supported until the end of the studies in the host country. If the courses in the host country are completed online, e.g. because of the need to switch from classroom teaching to online teaching, or if the number of participants is so large that they are only offered online from the beginning, then the study abroad can be supported if this online study is carried out locally in the host country and the host university then confirms the physical period of stay. The financial information on this page therefore only applies to study in the host country, not to online study outside the host country. 

The level of the ERASMUS funding rates for the three groups of countries is set uniformly nationwide by the DAAD.

450,- EUR/month  | Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom
390,- EUR/month | Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus
330,- EUR/month | Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Northern Macedonia, Turkey, Latvia, Romania

The Erasmus grants are paid out to the participants centrally by the International Office and in one installment as soon as they have received the "arrival confirmation" (start of physical mobility) by email.

The International Office is obligated to the EU Commission to record your study visit on a daily basis. The "Letter of Confirmation" is used at the end to determine the actual duration of your study abroad. This determines the final amount of Erasmus+ funding. Mobility grants for study visits are awarded for a period between 3 months (90 days) and 12 months (360 days).

There is no legal entitlement to funding through the Erasmus programme and therefore no claim can be made against the university.


The grant agreement is concluded between the HTW Dresden and the student before the start of the stay abroad. It forms the contractual and financial basis of the stay abroad. The grant agreement contains, among other things, the duration of the grant period, the reporting obligations of the grant holder as well as the planned financial Erasmus+ grant and the method of payment.

As soon as your Erasmus+ stay has been confirmed by the partner university, please come with the following documents to the International Office of the HTW Dresden:

  •     Learning Agreement (signed by the home university and the host university)
  •     letter of confirmation from the host university: "Admission Letter" or "Enrolment Certificate" (signed by the host university)

The submission of the above documents and the completion and signing of the grant agreement are prerequisites for receiving your Erasmus+ scholarship. All students will receive a copy of their grant agreement.

Note: The grant agreement is the basis for the payment of the mobility grant to Erasmus+ students. It is not a registration at the partner university.


Language Support Online (OLS) is part of Erasmus+ mobility with our partner universities to help students learn and improve their foreign language skills. Language support online is divided into two components: a compulsory language test before and after Erasmus+ Mobility, and an optional language course. The language tests before and after mobility are intended to measure and document the development of language skills - they do not serve as a selection criterion for Erasmus+ funding.

You will receive the link to the language tests and, if applicable, the optional language course by e-mail after signing the Erasmus+ grant agreement. Further information can be found on the DAAD website.

There is no insurance coverage associated with an Erasmus+ mobility grant.

Students who are insured by law (AOK, Barmer, TK, ...) generally have basic insurance coverage for their stay in another EU country with the European Health Insurance Card. However, coverage by the European Health Insurance Card or private insurance may be inadequate, especially if a return transport or special medical interventions are needed. For such cases, a supplementary private insurance may be useful. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure adequate health insurance coverage abroad. Erasmus+ students, have the possibility to join the

Group insurance of the DAAD (combined health, accident and personal liability insurance).


Students who take their child / children to an Erasmus+ partner university for an Erasmus+ study visit and are single parents during the Erasmus+ Mobility can receive special funds.

Regardless of the number of children, in addition to the stipulated monthly "regular" Erasmus+ funding per group of countries, an additional monthly allowance of 200 Euros per month can be granted as a lump sum for the duration of the stay.

In order to receive the grant for children, students apply at the HTW before starting their stay. The completed and signed by the student application form remains at the HTW.

The additional support is given as a grant, therefore, besides proof that the child / children are taken abroad (eg travel documents or on-the-spot checks), no evidence of the additional costs must be provided.


Students entitled to BAföG can use BAföG for their Erasmus+ stay abroad. BAföG recipients receive the same Erasmus+ grant as other students. With the BAföG regulation in force since 2011, (EU) grants up to a maximum of EUR 300 per month are exempt from crediting. Subsidies over 300 EUR/month will be credited against BAföG benefits.

The application for foreign BAföG should be submitted to the responsible BAföG office (depending on the target region) at least 6 months before a planned stay abroad, separately from the application for domestic BAföG. Even if you do not receive a domestic BAföG during your studies at the HTW Dresden, you should still inform yourself about the Auslands-BAföG, since the monthly foreign grant, the grant for tuition fees (up to 4,600 EUR), the grant for travel expenses or the foreign health insurance grant often amount to several thousand euros.
More information can be found at

The International Office is not authorised to fill in or confirm BAföG forms. Nevertheless, we would like to give you a little help at this point:

Form 2

Form 2 is generally not confirmed by the HTW. According to an agreement with the BAföG offices, the 4th certificate of matriculation (bottom right) is simply attached to this form. This certificate contains the additional note "(also as a template at the Office for Educational Assistance according to § 9 BAföG)". Should problems nevertheless arise, please contact the student office.

Form 5 (Confirmation of previous performance)

If you have any questions about Form 5, please contact the examination office.

Form 6 (Confirmation of mandatory internship)

This form will be confirmed by the responsible internship officer of the faculty.
The confirmation is only given for compulsory internships, not for additional or voluntary internships.
The expert opinion on the visit of the foreign educational institution only takes place after special request of the Bafög office in the faculty.

Students for study abroad with a degree of disability (GdB) of at least 30 can, upon application, receive a further grant in addition to the monthly funding rate of the respective group of countries. Please contact the International Office for further information.


During my studies abroad

If there are changes at the host university, e.g. because courses overlap or are not offered, you can change your learning agreement. The changes must be confirmed by your programme coordinator, the examination board and the host university no later than four weeks after your arrival at the host university. Please also send the amended learning agreement to the International Office. You can send the document either by post or by e-mail. Now you can take the selected modules abroad and take the corresponding examinations.

Changes to the agreed learning agreement must be recorded and approved by an amended learning agreement no later than four weeks after the student's arrival at the host university.

We are very happy about postcards. They will receive a place of honour on our pinboard.

Address: HTW Dresden - International Office, Friedrich-List-Platz 1, 01069 Dresden

After my studies abroad

At the end of your study stay (not earlier than 10 days before departure), please confirm your stay at the host university on the form "Letter of Confirmation". The start date of the financial Erasmus funding period is the first day on which the grantee is present at the host institution for academic purposes. The end date is the last day on which a grantee must be present at the host institution for academic purposes.

Please send the letter of confirmation upon receipt to the International Office or hand it in directly at the International Office during office hours (room Z 232).


Upon successful completion of the study visit, the host university will issue you with a Transcript of Records in accordance with the learning agreement. Please send the transcript of records upon receipt to or hand in a copy directly at the International Office (Room Z 232) during office hours.
Please note: If a student does not bring home any of the credits provided for in the Learning Agreement, the Erasmus+ mobility grant can be partly or fully reclaimed.


At the end of your stay, your host university will send you a Transcript of Records of the modules you have taken and the examination results you have achieved. You submit this together with the first and possibly second amended learning agreement to the responsible examination board. If, contrary to the learning agreement, examination results are not to be recognised or modules are to be recognised as additional achievements, inform the examination board informally. The examination board enters the previously approved, recognised achievements with the corresponding grade in the last part of the learning agreement (after mobility) and confirms these.

The conversion of grades takes place in the faculty. For this purpose, you submit the necessary information about the foreign grading system to the examination board. In the case of incomparable grading systems, the note "passed" is included (and the examination results are not included in the further grading calculation). This is done in such a way that the ECTS points of this module are also included in the total amount of ECTS points.

Your results from abroad are then transferred to the HIS POS. On the certificate, examinations taken and recognised abroad are marked in a suitable manner. Please note that the process description P U15 - Recognition of examination performances is binding for the procedure.

The home university guarantees that ECTS credits earned abroad will be credited towards the credits/time required to obtain a degree at the home university. The academic achievements can only be recognised if a clearly defined study programme has been agreed with you in writing in a learning agreement. Academic recognition takes place after successful completion of the mobility stay on the basis of the proof of achievement issued to you by the host university. You may be refused credit or recognition for your academic achievements if you have not achieved the academic level required by the host university or have otherwise failed to meet the conditions required by the participating institutions for recognition.

If you would like further information on recognition procedures and guidelines for a good recognition process, we recommend the following addresses:

  •  The nexus project of the German Rectors' Conference (HRK) promotes study visits abroad and has therefore made it one of its tasks to create quality standards for the recognition of academic achievements. In this context, the project publishes important information and practical examples on the recognition of study and examination achievements on its website and also provides basic publications.
  •   The brochure "Promoting Mobility by Facilitating Recognition" from the International Office of the University of Leipzig also deals with good recognition practice for study and examination achievements. The HTW Dresden supported the project together with other institutions.



You are obliged to complete and submit the EU Survey online survey within 30 days of the end of your stay abroad. You will receive your login after your return. The HTW Dresden can demand partial or full repayment of the financial support received from Erasmus+ EU funds from students who do not complete and submit the EU Survey Online Survey.

We would also like to ask you to send us a report (with photos if possible) of your experiences abroad so that as many future students as possible can benefit from your experiences. With your consent, the experience report will be uploaded to the HTW website under "Experience Reports". Please send us your experience report as a PDF file with a short confirmation about the approval of the publication.

An extension of the current mobility period may be agreed under the following conditions:

  •     Application (also informally by e-mail) by the student up to one month before the originally planned end date at the latest, but preferably via the "Extension Application" on page 3 of the Grant  Agreement.
  •     Changing the Learning Agreement for the Extension Period
  •     Extension period immediately following the current stay
  •     Individual mobility, including no extension, may not extend beyond the duration of the project.
  •     Extension may not result in the maximum duration of the support being exceeded.


Documents and papers

1. Application for a Stay Abroad

2. Learning Agreement

3. Further Documentation on Erasmus+