Studying with a child

[Translate to English:] Kind malt mit Buntstiften

Reconciling studying with children or dependents to care for presents many students with major challenges. To help you organize your studies in a family-friendly way, we have compiled advice, information on study organization and childcare.



Consulting services

The General Student Advisory Service at HTW Dresden supports students in their individual life and study situation. For an initial consultation, you are welcome to contact the General Student Advisory Service at any time. If necessary, they will refer you to other appropriate counseling centers. All consultations are of course confidential and anonymous upon request.


The study plan (part of the study regulations) is a recommendation. You can deviate from this plan by agreeing on an individual study plan together with your responsible dean of studies.


You can find the dean of studies responsible for you on the website of your faculty or in the directory of representatives and elective offices (internal area).

For the HTW Dresden as well as in all faculties there are equal opportunity officers who act as contact persons for equal opportunities at the HTW in general and for the perception of the concerns of all women at the HTW Dresden.

The OPAL-groupe "Studying with a child at HTW DD" is intended to serve the exchange among the student parents of the HTW as well as the passing on of information about events.


If you are studying at HTW with child(ren) or are expecting a child soon, you can also become an enrolled member of this Opal course.

Please contact familie(at) for this.

The Studentenwerk Dresden offers a variety of services for students with child(ren), including:


  • Maternity Protection & Parental Leave
  • Financing (e.g. parental allowance, child benefit, ALG II, alimony)
  • Study organization with child(ren)
  • Childcare in Dresden
  • Pregnancy & Birth
  • Reconciliation of university career & family responsibilities
  • Support with applications & if necessary objections with authorities
  • Application & acceptance of applications for pregnancy allowance.

Campus office Uni with child

  • Pregnancy allowance of the Studentenwerk
  • Advice on study organization (semesters off during pregnancy or parental leave, exams, compensation for disadvantages)
  • Financing (parental allowance, child benefit/child supplement, alimony, advance alimony, social benefit for children, housing allowance ... )
  • Childcare, e.g. in the two daycare centers of the Studentenwerk or in the Campusnest (flexible short-term care)
  • Single parent students

Social Counseling Student Union Dresden

  • Advice in case of social and economic difficulties
  • Pregnancy and childcare during studies

Campus with child

To Overview


As a student of HTW Dresden, you can use both the daycare services of the city of Dresden and the daycare facilities of the Studentenwerk. The childcare provided by the Studentenwerk is especially tailored to the needs of student parents.

Short-term Care

In the Campusnest short-term care, children can be cared for at short notice (registration up to 48 hours in advance) or regularly in 2-hour blocks between 9:05 am and 6:30 pm. The regular booking of the short-term care is thus suitable, for example, for regular teaching events after 4 pm.



Since 1.1.2018, the Maternity Protection Act (also) applies to pregnant and breastfeeding students in Germany. In the information sheet on the Maternity Protection Act for students (in German only), you will find important information on maternity protection during your studies. Would you like to receive advice about your pregnancy and your studies? Then please feel free to use the counseling services listed above.