graduate hats
Jasmine Coro, Unsplash

Reasons to study at HTW Dresden

  • Why University of Applied Sciences Dresden?

  • practice

    practical relevance in teaching and research

  • networked

    Internships & Theses directly in companies

  • family

    Small study groups and project teams

  • personally

    Close contact to professors

  • in the middle

    centrally located in Dresden with short distances

  • mobile

    Semester ticket for the whole of Saxony

  • International

    Worldwide exchange with partner universities

  • And then?

    Career Service are there for you

8 good reasons

Study programmes at HTW Dresden

What can I study?

No study programmes found

Requirements for application at HTW Dresden

Here you can check whether you have direct access to University:

The study programmes International Management and Environmental Engineering are taught in English. Most other study programmes are taught in German. So you need very good knowledge of German language which has to be proven by acknowledged Language certificate.
You can check about language requirements at the website of your intended study programme.

My application for full time degree studies at HTW Dresden

International applicants have to apply via uni-assist:

Bachelor programme Business Administration
International Applicants for first semester need to apply as follows:
  1. Registration at
  2. Application at

Study programmes of faculty Design
Please note the deadline for suitability test.

summer semester: November 30th of the previous year
winter semester: June 15th of the same year

The date of the receipt of the complete documents and the payment of the fee by uni-assist is pivotal. Apply early so you still have time to submit any missing documents in due time.

A fee must be paid for the examination of an application in the uni-assist procedure. Please find the amount of the fee on the following website:

  • complete, signed application form (part of the online application)
  • proof of payment of the application fee
  • 1 photo (e.g. passport photo) (coloured, size: 3.5 x 4.5 cm)
  • 1 passport copy
  • sworn translation (de/en) and officially certified copy of the original higher education entrance qualification with subject and grade overview
  • officially certified copy Language certificate German/ for English courses of study: Language certificate English
  • for Master-applications: completed application form (available for download on the applicant portal)
  • for previous university studies: sworn translation (de/en) and officially certified copy of certificates with overview of grades 
  • if you live in Germany: copy of the residence permit
  • Applicants from PR China and Vietnam: Confirmation of Academic Evaluation Body (APS)

Use the uni-assist online application and then send the necessary application documents together with the printed and signed application form in paper form to the following address:

Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Dresden
c/o uni-assist e.V.
11507 BERLIN

In the case of creditable academic achievements from a previous university course, it is possible to apply for a higher semester. Please submit a complete, current overview of the grades of your previous studies as well as the module descriptions of the content and scope of the courses of your previous studies to Uni-assist. You can obtain these officially certified certificates from the Examination Office of your previous university.

Your documents will be checked after they have been received and after uni-assist e.V. has received the application fee. Here we check for completeness, subject-specific and linguistic admission requirements for the course of study applied for. If your documents meet the formal admission requirements, uni-assist e.V. willforward your documents to the HTW Dresden. You will receive information about this from uni-assist.

If you do not yet meet the admission requirements, uni-assist e.V. will inform you accordingly and ask you to submit the required documents.

After completion of the admission procedure, you will receive a final decision from the HTW Dresden on your admission to the desired course of study. If your application could not be considered because the amount of applicants was too high, you will receive a notice of non-admission (rejection).

A Studienkolleg is an educational institution at which international applicants can prepare for studying at a German university. Before the preparatory courses begin, an aptitude test must be taken, which is held about four weeks before the course begins.

Beginner training in German language is not carried out at the Studienkolleg. The Studienkolleg for the HTW Dresden is located at the Hochschule Zittau/Görlitz. Alternatively, you can visit the TUDIAS institute, which charges a fee.
The registration for the Studienkolleg Zittau/Görlitz is made by the HTW Dresden after a proper application for a study place.

Studienkolleg: FSP-Kurs (Duration: 2 semesters)

Target group: Applicants for a bachelor's or diploma degree in German
Applicants with a foreign higher education entrance qualification (HZB), which is not equivalent to the German one, attend the preparatory course and conclude with the "Feststellungsprüfung" (FSP).
The applicant must present the German Certificate B1.

Language course German (Duration: 1 semester)

Target groups: Applicants for a Master's course in German or a Bachelor's or Diploma course in German, whereby the applicant's higher education entrance qualification (HZB) is equivalent to that of the German HZB.
The participants of the language course prepare for passing the German Language Examination for University Admission (DSH-2).
The applicant must present the German Certificate B2.

Organisation of my stay

An entry visa for study purposes is required for international applicants who are not nationals of a Member State of the European Union and stay longer than 3 months.
Students from the European Union, the European Economic Area and some other countries can enter without a visa.

A tourist visa does not entitle you to direct study, nor can it be converted into a residence permit or a visa for study purposes in Germany!

For the timely application of the entry visa at the responsible diplomatic representation of the Federal Republic of Germany in the home country, the study applicant receives a certificate for the application of a visa for the purpose of study in Germany after examination of the study conditions on the basis the submitted application documents.


Students of the HTW Dresden pay a social contribution to the university. Current semester fee at the HTW.


No tuition fees are currently charged for first-degree studies at our university. Please note, however, that in special cases secondary tuition fees or long-term tuition fees may be charged.

The cost of living is expected to be around 600-800 euros per month. This amount includes the expenses for rent in the dormitory, meals, study materials and fees for a statutory health insurance. Information about halls of residence and prices of the Studentenwerk Dresden:

International applicants are advised to inform themselves about scholarship opportunities for the duration of their studies before arriving in Germany and before beginning their studies at the HTW Dresden. The following databases are useful aids for finding scholarships:

DAAD Scholarship Database:
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers (international) students the opportunity to find nationwide scholarships within the framework of a scholarship database according to their individual field of study and study phase.

Stipendienlotse (BMBF):
The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) offers an interactive platform with its scholarship pilot, on which you can find a suitable scholarship according to your desired criteria. The comprehensive scholarship database can be filtered according to many different criteria. The scholarship controller is the central point of contact for national and international scholarships in the private and public sector.

International students have the opportunity to take up gainful employment (part-time job) during their studies in Germany. The following legal framework conditions apply:

International students from the following countries:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United Kingdom may take up gainful employment while studying without a permit. Here, however, the regulation applies that this does not exceed more than 20 hours per week to withdraw from the contribution payments into the statutory pension insurance.

International students from countries not listed here may work for 120 full days and 240 half days.
A notification to the local immigration office is mandatory >> Ausländerbehörde Dresden.

The DAAD offers additional information on this subject at

In Germany, all students must have health insurance. When matriculating as a student at the HTW Dresden, proof of health insurance must be presented.

  • Students from countries of the European Union (EU) prove their health insurance with their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This is based on the social security agreements of the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area. Please note that your insurance may not cover all costs in Germany. Therefore, make sure that you know exactly which benefits you are entitled to in Germany before you enter the country.
    The European Commission has developed a Smartphone App which explains how to use the EHIC in different countries. It also provides general information on the insurance card, emergency numbers, treatments and costs included, procedures for claiming reimbursement and contact information in the event of card loss. The app is available for both iPhone and Andoid (enter "EHIC" as search).
  • Students from non-EU countries must take out health insurance with one of the statutory health insurance funds (e.g. AOK, Techniker Krankenkasse, Barmer...) (currently approx. 80-90 Euro/month) and present proof of insurance ("Versicherungsbescheinigung"). After your arrival in Dresden, you will receive support from the International Office during the introductory week to take out statutory health insurance.

You can find more information about health insurance in Germany on the pages of the DAAD.

We recommend that you take out travel insurance for both your journey to Germany and your return journey to your home country. However, travel insurance does not replace health insurance!


During your stay at the HTW Dresden you can live in a student residence of the Studentenwerk Dresden (rental period at least 4 months). You can register directly at the Studentenwerk Dresden using the online application procedure. To apply, you need a copy of the admission letter from the HTW Dresden.

You can find detailed information on the various types of accommodation and the application form (online application procedure) at: und unter

If you arrive outside the arrival times specified by the Studentenwerk Dresden, we recommend that you stay for the first night at the International Guest House of the Studentenwerk Dresden, a hotel or youth hostel in Dresden. The A&O Hostel/Hotel near the HTW Dresden is located only 500 m from Dresden Central Station.


If you prefer to live in a shared apartment, you can find information in Facebook groups or on the following websites:

       TU Dresden WG Börse facebook Gruppe — WG Angebote — Wohnungsangebote
       Franklin 20 — privates Wohnheim


For study stays of up to 3 months there is the possibility of accommodation in the International Guest House of the Studentenwerk Dresden. As the capacity of the International Guest House is limited, you should contact your academic advisor or the International Office of the HTW Dresden in good time.


At the beginning of each semester there is an orientation week for our new international students. The week is organized in cooperation with the student association faranto e.V. and the HTW Dresden. This usually takes place one week before the start of the courses.

International students are strongly advised to take part in the orientation week. The orientation week includes, among other things:

  • an overview of the HTW Dresden
  • Registration at the Student Office
  • Introduction to the University Library
  • Introduction to German and foreign language courses of the Language Centre
  • Take out health insurance (if necessary)
  • Help with formalities for the citizens' office of Dresden

Please refer to the schedule of the orientation week for exact time and place details, which will be sent to you by e-mail shortly before the start of the orientation week.

Please bring the following documents with you to the orientation week:

  • valid passport or identity card
  • valid visa for study purposes (if required)
  • rental agreement
  • Proof of health insurance


The association faranto e.V. organizes a buddy programme for international exchange students. You will receive further information by e-mail before you start your studies abroad at the HTW Dresden.

Advice and support for refugees

Applicants with a refugee background can apply for exemption from costs via uni-Assist e.V. by issuing a certificate of counselling from the HTW Dresden. Please contact Ms Britta Weber (


Applicants with a refugee background who do not have certificates or overviews of grades can still apply via the uni-assist applicant portal. Please send all existing certificates with your application online to uni-assist. You will then receive a self-disclosure form from uni-assist e.V. The self-disclosure form will then enable the HTW Dresden to assess your ability to study at the HTW Dresden.

We will be happy to advise you personally: